Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the wife out today and drove a couple of Tauri. She likes them well enough. Her only stipulation is that we don't spend a penny over $7,000. This will be her car to replace a 96 Civic. We've got our first baby due in May, so we're making this switch to get her (them) into something a little bigger.

It looks like I could buy a 2000 SEL from a private party for right at about $7,000. Does this sound reasonable to you?

Any other advice?

(btw, thanks to everyone who has been so helpful as I make multiple posts in my quest to become a happy Taurus owner, if I'm getting too annoying let me know)

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
My last car was a 2000 SEL. It is a very nice car in which has the rear A/C that was done away with in the later years. If you don't need all the goodies (automatic climate control, alarm, heated outside mirrors, dual visors, leather, power seats, etc.) you can get a lesser optioned car that is newer with less miles. I would however recomend that ABS a must. You should look for side airbags as well as traction control. All this will add a little to cost, but you will get an insurance discount for safety items. That sounds about right in price for a 2000 SEL. When my lease was up in October of 2003, I had 39,000 miles and it was worth about $8500

·
Registered
113 Posts
My 2000 SEL is running great. It only has 17,500 on it. I bought it back in March of last year. Leather, Durtech v6, front and side airbags, mach stereo, the works. Great car. If you can, and if it hasn't been done already, have a local ford dealer update your ECU. I had trouble this winter with cold starts. There was an ECU update that fixed it thou. I like my Taurus alot. And I'm paying alot more then $7k for it.

First car with heater side mirrors <-------THE BEST THING EVER IN CREATURE COMFORTS!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
I bought my car in 2002. Its a 2000 with the vulcanFFV When i bought it, it had 54,000 miles, ran/looked perfect (still does). I bought it for $5000. I love the deal i got on it. So, $7000 for a G4 Taurus is most definately reasonable.

M

·
0 Posts
i'm most likely getting a 2002 SES for about 7750. You just have to look around...check out autotrader.com imo, you're best bet would be getting it from a private seller. those are the cheapest imo. good luck!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Bought my 2000 Sable LS Pemium about Nov.1 of last year for $6,500. Has 75,000 miles. Loaded, Duratech, 6 disc CD changer, leather, new tires, new brakes. Black outside, light tan inside and flawless. Doubt if anyones ever been in the back seat. It was a business car used by the guys wife. It's the way I always buy my Taurus'. The company allows the employee to buy the car cheap knowing they can sell at a profit. The employee usually loads up on service, like tires/brakes a few months before they're changing cars

The seller was asking $7,000. I offered $6,000. He said he could get more it Carmax. We settled for $6,500.

2000, 2001 and perhaps 2002 model Taurus/Sable prices have appeared to have essentially collapsed, at least here in Charlotte. I guarantee you can get something very nice for well under $7,000.

·
Banned
509 Posts
Holy Shiznit!

$6-8k!?!?

My mom paid about 11k for my 2002 SES, used..

But we shopped around, and that was the best deal we could find.. WOW

I got in a wreck that caused $6k worth of damage just to my car..

I say hell yeah that is reasonable.. It is even a SEL..

"First car with heater side mirrors <-------THE BEST THING EVER IN CREATURE COMFORTS!!!!"

Why is that? I dont see a need for them, I also live in Texas aswell..

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by timeshifter@Feb 1 2004, 03:12 AM
Should I be concerned about 1st year of the new platform type bugs?
timeshifter, most of the 4th generation cars (2000-2004+) was a carry-over from the 3rd generation. Most of the mechanicals on the cars are time-tested already.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Sounds like a decent deal to me - I say go for it.

I picked up my 2000SE in the spring of '02 for about $7300 after taxes, licensing, etc. It was my mom's fleet car and I picked it up for what I considered to be a great deal (kbb value was ~$12k at the time) considering the car the was in great condition and had mostly highway miles ~60k.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts