Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im in a little situation right now. I was going to drop the Y-Pipe to the Sable so I can get the O2s out. But one of the flange bolts decided to become a prick! I can't get it off, and now Im stuck. I put the front one back on, and ONE of the bolts to the bank 2 back on. The last bolt is stuck and wont come off, or go back on. I think I may need a Impact to get the damn bastard back on...lol Oh well, I just wanted to see what you all thought.... any suggestions would be cool.

Sal

·
Premium Member
2,415 Posts
I've heard of some people heating up stuck bolts with a torch. Have you tried pb blaster or some other kind of penetrationg oil? If you haven't, I'd suggest torching before penetrating oil so that you're less likely to catch the car on fire. Impact wrench will probably help the most, though.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Hmm, if I where you I'd park the car for the night and when the exhaust is cool, soak the nut with a good penetrating oil, I like PB. Soak it again before you head in for the night, and then before you start working on it in the morking, to let that sh*t coak in real good. The problem is, if the bolt is stuck and the stud snaps, you've got to pull the exhaust manifold, drill the snapped piece out, and tap some new threads. When I had to pull my exhaust mani off on my sable one stud snapped off and I had a shop remove it, I didn't have the tools at the time.

If you can't get any good force on the thing, then an impact will work real good. Whenever I have a stuck bolt I like to put the enclosed end of a wrench on the thing and then pry the wrench with a bar of some sort. I've done that so many times and it's saves me a lot of troubles.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts