Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Never thought I'd see the day when people would emblemize a 6-cylinder engine of any sort. That Mustang V6 emblem is like having a kindergarten graduation ceremony.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
i wont it to look like it may have come out of the factory , not a obvisous custom , i like when people that dont know cars look at it and go what kind of car is that ?

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
Never thought I'd see the day when people would emblemize a 6-cylinder engine of any sort. That Mustang V6 emblem is like having a kindergarten graduation ceremony.
Except the current V6 Mustang is quite a beast.

The badged ones usually were a bit more powerful than others. The Dodge 3.5s for instance, the first gen Intrepids had a "3.5Liter 24-valve V6" badge just above the rub strip. I can attest to that being a stout engine. I'd dump the Taurus in a heartbeat to have a well maintained 3.5 litre Intrepid again. Fantastic cars, too bad most came with the two-point-sludge.

The V6 Cavaliers and Sunbirds were supposedly pretty fun little cars too.

Those were pretty much nothing compared to a certain supercharged GM V6 that appeared in a bunch of W bodies either....

The Vulcan is (and I'm sorry but it's true) a pretty sad example of a V6. I hope you aren't equating every V6 with that.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
ya my new 3.5 in my new taurus is fast as hell ! it will flat sink you in the seats !

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
i wont it to look like it may have come out of the factory , not a obvisous custom , i like when people that dont know cars look at it and go what kind of car is that ?
Meh....I like it better when people who do know cars can appreciate a plain-Jane looking car and say "That's not a stock Taurus, is it?" I've always been a fan of the Sleeper School of Detailing. Badges and stickers are for insecure approval seekers. I have a T-shirt that says "Rocket Scientist" on it, but it still doesn't make me one....

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Meh....I like it better when people who do know cars can appreciate a plain-Jane looking car and say "That's not a stock Taurus, is it?" I've always been a fan of the Sleeper School of Detailing.
Dittoes. No emblem left on our Tempo to let anyone know it's anything other than Grandma's little 4-banger. :D

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
The Vulcan is (and I'm sorry but it's true) a pretty sad example of a V6. I hope you aren't equating every V6 with that.
That wasn't quite my point although I see where you are coming from. I'm thinking of the engine vs. the application. Most people who know anything at all about a Taurus are aware of the bell curve regarding engine availability. V8s weren't all that common and I4s even scarcer. Pretty much, if you have a Taurus you have a V6.

Now, put that same engine in the Tempo/Topaz and you have something out of the ordinary. Your comparing a GM Cadaver or Sunbird to a Taurus compares apples to oranges. Compare the Taurus to a Celebrity or an Impala and the Vulcan holds its own against the power-to-weight ratio Chevy had. I can see the badge lovers wanting the emblem on the smaller car; I just like cruising under the radar, myself. To each his own.

Lastly, say what you want to about the Vulcan but despite some of its quirks - which are easily corrected by people willing to do so - it's at least as reliable as most of its competition with routine maintenance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
That wasn't quite my point although I see where you are coming from. I'm thinking of the engine vs. the application. Most people who know anything at all about a Taurus are aware of the bell curve regarding engine availability. V8s weren't all that common and I4s even scarcer. Pretty much, if you have a Taurus you have a V6.

Now, put that same engine in the Tempo/Topaz and you have something out of the ordinary. Your comparing a GM Cadaver or Sunbird to a Taurus compares apples to oranges. Compare the Taurus to a Celebrity or an Impala and the Vulcan holds its own against the power-to-weight ratio Chevy had. I can see the badge lovers wanting the emblem on the smaller car; I just like cruising under the radar, myself. To each his own.

Lastly, say what you want to about the Vulcan but despite some of its quirks - which are easily corrected by people willing to do so - it's at least as reliable than most of its competition with routine maintenance.
+1
There's nothing wong with the Vulcan at all. It has plenty of power for the Taurus. The only time oit feels like I need more power is when I have more than three people in the car, not including me and that rarely happens. And anyone saying it's not reliable is very mistaken.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
+1
There's nothing wong with the Vulcan at all. It has plenty of power for the Taurus. The only time oit feels like I need more power is when I have more than three people in the car, not including me and that rarely happens. And anyone saying it's not reliable is very mistaken.
The Vulcan is a workhorse if given just a little routine maintenance, (my Daughter's '02 is a Vulcan) but when I got my first Duratec, I have to admit, I can't go back. Imagine your Vulcan with 55 more ponies under the hood......

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
The Vulcan is a workhorse if given just a little routine maintenance, (my Daughter's '02 is a Vulcan) but when I got my first Duratec, I have to admit, I can't go back. Imagine your Vulcan with 55 more ponies under the hood......
Hmmm, tempting but I couldn't afford the tickets I got with a V6 Tempo. Standing on the throttle on US17 to pass 4 cars in a row is a rush, even if it gives my wife a coronary, but the Hardee County sheriff saw me as income.

A Duratec connected to MY right foot?:eek:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
i drive mine as my work car to let my truck rest, i drive 45 min's to work and 45 min back home, i drive strate 71 hwy , at 70 mph, and can pass and run 90 mph for long times, the Vulcan has done whell ...

·
Premium Member
3,228 Posts
Hell, I've had a Vulcan car cruising up to over 100mph without much drama. That engine is more than fine for the D186 application.

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts

Lastly, say what you want to about the Vulcan but despite some of its quirks - which are easily corrected by people willing to do so - it's at least as reliable as most of its competition with routine maintenance.
Okay I get where you're coming from now. Yeah, kinda pointless to put a V6 badge on something that came with only a V6.

Oh, and for what it's worth, power to weight ratio (2000 Impala vs 2000 Taurus):
Taurus: 155hp (185ft-lbs), 3316lbs 21.4lbs per hp
Impala: 180hp (205ft-lbs), 3465lbs 19.3lbs per hp

+1
It's reliable enough (in fact, according to the book "Car: A Drama of the American Workplace" the only reason it was kept in the '96 Taurus was because of its reliability), and fine for 1 person's commute, but put a couple people in it (it IS a six passenger vehicle, remember) and trying to pass someone becomes a test. For the power it puts out, I think it could've been a 4-cylinder. A 4 would get better mileage too. Having no real fuel efficient option hurt the Taurus.

Anywho, my point was that compared to other V6's (not just in comparable cars) the Vulcan is pretty low on the totem pole. LGB pop made it sound like he couldn't understand why someone would advertise a V6. I was pointing out some great V6s.

Though I admit, I did manage to surprise a MKII Jetta with 18's, tint, and a fartcan the other day. :lol2: Took them up to 40 before I let off (speed limit is... well let's just say it isn't 40). Don't think they were too happy about it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The Vulcan is a very sturdy reliable engine, but as I mentioned earlier, a Tec on WOT with the secondaries open @ 6000 RPM is addicting....(and my Tec gets better MPG than any of my Vulcans ever did, when driven sanely...)

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
About this Discussion
54 Replies
22 Participants
danhasenauer
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing