Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally done with UTI. No more do I have to drive 40 miles to Norwood and 40 miles back every day. I'm finally free, and I finally have some free time.

Now, I'm having trouble making a decision here. I want to continue with my Ford training and work for Ford. But, the area dealerships don't seem to be hiring right now. But, there is a Chevy dealership about a half hour drive from me that might be interested, and there is a Honda dealership that is literally a 10-15 minute walk from my Dad's apartment (which I'll be moving to soon). The Honda dealership actually left me a voice mail while I was at work, and they say they're looking to hire someone right away.

So, I could wait it out a bit and find a job with Ford, but then I would be giving up the opportunity I have now. I need the experience and the job at this Honda dealership would probably be perfect. One of the instructors I had worked for Honda and he said they were great to work for.

I'm leaning towards going to this Honda dealership, but I haven't made my decision for sure yet.

No matter what happens, I still would like to continue with Ford sometime in the future. I've got 12 credentials and I don't want to stop there.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Call the Chevy dealership and see what their interest level is, and if it seems like they're serious, tell them that you've got a job offer on the table, and you need them to either extend you an offer asap, or you've got no choice but to take the other job.

The nice thing about that is that if the Chevy dealership does give you an offer, you can play both dealerships off each other for better pay/benefits. I've done this a couple times, even since I started working for Lockheed Martin. I had another company offer me more money to go to them, and I played that job offer against LM to get more money.

Negotiation skills FTW!

I would still keep working on those Ford courses, though. If you really want to work for a Ford dealership at some point, it doesn't hurt to have the necessary certs. It'll make you much more attractive when you do.

JR

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna keep cranking away at the Ford web based stuff. That way, in the future, I'll have all the prerequisit stuff done so I would already be eligible to get sent off for training.

My interest in the Honda dealership is much higher, simply because of how close it is to me, vs the Chevy dealership. So, even if I was payed a bit better, it might even out with the driving.

Right now, I'm more concerned with getting experience than pay, and because I'm not experienced, I don't expect to get paid very well anywhere right away. As of now, I don't have very good negotiating skills and I don't know if I want to risk trying it for my first real job in the field (I don't count my short time at Sears a real job). I also don't want to try and use the fact that I'm a UTI student as a negotiating factor, because that doesn't mean anything unless you can prove that you actually learned something there. Although, the Ford electrical training probably carries some weight no matter where I go.

But for now, I'm going to apply at the Honda dealership and see what happens. I haven't actually been contacted by the Chevy dealership , but if they are as interested as they told the guy in the employment office, then I think I'll be getting a call soon.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Congratulations on graduating :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was pretty excited about the possibility of getting a job until I heard from a former tech who worked at the Chevy dealership across the street (same owner, all part of Commonwealth Motors).

Supposedly, all the employees at Commonwealth motors are treated very poorly. I figured I couln't go off of what one guy said, so I did a little reasearch, and found on the website Ripoff Report that many of the customers are treated poorly as well. Then, a site called Dealerrater.com has them with a 1.6/5. All the customer reviews are extremely poor, and it even has this:

"DEALER WARNING: This Dealership has written (6) fraudulent reviews about themselves from 1/7/2008 - 1/28/2008 which have been removed. No new reviews will be accepted for a period of (18) Months."

Ironic that their slogan is "Shop us last...you'll love us!"

Of course, I'm still going to go and apply and check the place out, I'm not going to base everything on word of mouth (but it isn't looking good), but if they want to jump to an interview and try to get me in right away I'm not going to say yes. I'm going to check out other places first before I make a decision.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts