Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a huge clunk in the front of my car after I hold the breaks for awhile, and a single clunk when braking. So I began jacking it up to see what the problem was. I was using the typical crap ford scissor jack. Got the jack to its highest point slide a jack stand under it (barely fit, oviously not enough). I begin to try and take the caliper bolts off which are stuck. I see the car start to slide, boom, caliper in the concrete. All in all it was a good day. I wish I had taken a picture.

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jun 11 2004, 11:06 PM
Damn, I saw the title hoping that you lowered it :p

Hopefully nothing broke.
Same here.

Hope everythings AOK.

-DC

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
That's why I stopped using those stupid scissor jacks..... I hated those and almost had a car fall on top of me

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
3 ton jacks are the way to go. we bought a 2 ton set from pepboys, goin to return them. can barely lift up a sho, how pathetic is that.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Originally posted by SilverKnight@Jun 12 2004, 12:07 AM
3 ton jacks are the way to go. we bought a 2 ton set from pepboys, goin to return them. can barely lift up a sho, how pathetic is that.
Yeah I know what you mean, the 2-ton I have has difficulty lifting up the heavy front end of the taurus...the back is ok. I'll be looking for a 3-ton floor jack or a set of ramps in the near future...

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Sorry to hear that you "dropped" it.

I live at the bottom of a pretty big hill, and there are two streets that run parallel to eachother. I was going up the other one, and say a guy (Honduh) that was facing downhill struggling with a scissors jack to change a front tire. He didn't realize that the car was going to move forward as soon as he got a jack under there. I tried to help him with my 2-ton, but no dice. The hill was too steep. By the end of the day, when he finally called a tow-truck to pick up the front end for him, he'd dropped the car three times on the asphalt and ended up needing to get a new front left rotor (not to mention screwing up his ground effects)...

JR

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by firstgen87l@Jun 11 2004, 11:57 PM
That's why I stopped using those stupid scissor jacks..... I hated those and almost had a car fall on top of me
Yeah i hate those damn jacks also.

I was helping replace a flat on a friends SUV (IIRC it was an Aztec) and just as i had put the spare on and was starting to lower it the scissor jack actually bent/folded in half. I noticed the car started moving backwards slowly and then it came crashing down and the jack was bent almost in half. Wish i had a picture of that to show you all.

Well the scissors and the bottle jacks both suck IMO. My first two Broncos had bottle jacks and that was a joke because they had no base to them to stabilize the jack. They weren't much bigger around then a coke can so that wasn't very stable. I just eventually started to carry around my floor jack in the back of the truck since there was more then enough room.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.