Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found that I have what looks to be a 6x9 speaker hole in between my two speakers.

I have a 2001 Taurus SE, and I was wondering if it would be possible to cut the hole a tad bigger to allow for a sub?

And, if it IS possible, would it sound any good?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Possible? Yes. Even Motor Trend suggested this when reviewing Ford's JBL system for the Taurus in their March 1996 issue:

"Speaker upgrades can be handled by Boston Acoustics' Rally components (617/592-9000): RC61 ($270) 6.5-inch two-way components up front (with three mounting options for the tweeters), RX87 ($160) 5x7-inch coaxial speakers in the rear, and an RS8 ($90), a four-ohm 8-inch subwoofer. All fit in the stock locations with minimal modifications."

For me, I am avoiding cutting the rear deck and going with a JL Audio 6.5" sub.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wonder if two jl subs would sound better...What if instead of opening the center hole, take two of the jwl subs put them in the rear deck that replaces the regular speakers, then put on speaker in the middle? Sounds weird or no? cause I know most of the sound is up front.

84fordman, what type of amp would you get?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I wonder if two jl subs would sound better...What if instead of opening the center hole, take two of the jwl subs put them in the rear deck that replaces the regular speakers, then put on speaker in the middle? Sounds weird or no? cause I know most of the sound is up front.

You'll lose the mids. The rear speakers are responsible for Bass and mids, where the front is driven for mids and highs.

In a perfect world you want all 4 corners to do mids, highs, and bass. I Settled and got a good pair of aftermarket rear deck speakers. So it did mids and highs and responded better to bass than the stock speakers. It totally changed the dynamics of my Taurus's audio system. All I needed was a sub woofer and it would have been perfect. Your best bet is to invest in some good speakers for all 4 corners (this includes getting tweeters for the front.) You won't need 2 way speakers for the front if you get a woofer tweeter setup like some tauri were shipped from the factory with. But i'd recommend 2 ways in the rear at leas.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The amp I want to use is the JL Audio J2 250.1 (250Wx1 @ 2ohms).

As mediarocker said your best investment is a set of good front and rear speakers. I know a Five Hundred owner that did what your suggesting and the bass overwhelms everything else. I upgraded to the Mach amp, put Powerbass 5.25" components in the front doors and put Powerbass 5.25" coaxials on the rear deck. I was in a hurry and didn't seal them properly so there is a slight rattle during bass hits, but beyond that, they sound good as is. I just wanted a little more thump, so that is why I decided the next step will be the JL 6.5" sub and amp.

·
Registered
173 Posts
The amp I want to use is the JL Audio J2 250.1 (250Wx1 @ 2ohms).

As mediarocker said your best investment is a set of good front and rear speakers. I know a Five Hundred owner that did what your suggesting and the bass overwhelms everything else. I upgraded to the Mach amp, put Powerbass 5.25" components in the front doors and put Powerbass 5.25" coaxials on the rear deck. I was in a hurry and didn't seal them properly so there is a slight rattle during bass hits, but beyond that, they sound good as is. I just wanted a little more thump, so that is why I decided the next step will be the JL 6.5" sub and amp.
What mods do I need to do for a 5.25 inch? Or is that just simply obtaining an adapter plate for it? Looks not to expensive, and I will probably go with a mach if I can get it on the cheap, I have the jb which I love the deeper base on it. :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
What mods do I need to do for a 5.25 inch? Or is that just simply obtaining an adapter plate for it? Looks not to expensive, and I will probably go with a mach if I can get it on the cheap, I have the jb which I love the deeper base on it. :p
Adapter plates, yes, mine came from Scosche, about $12 per pair. I would recommend some clear RTV silicone or real thin weatherstripping to outline the adapter where it meets the car. The screws that came with my speakers didn't seem to fit tight with the slots in the adapters. Here I would recommend some bolts and nuts (Size M4 should be small enough) as some of my vibrations may be coming from the speaker not being tightly secured to the adapter.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Adapter plates, yes, mine came from Scosche, about $12 per pair. I would recommend some clear RTV silicone or real thin weatherstripping to outline the adapter where it meets the car. The screws that came with my speakers didn't seem to fit tight with the slots in the adapters. Here I would recommend some bolts and nuts (Size M4 should be small enough) as some of my vibrations may be coming from the speaker not being tightly secured to the adapter.
BUT the important question, how do they sound? :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
BUT the important question, how do they sound? :p
Excellent actually. Powerbass is just a cheap brand, I paid maybe $40 or $60 for the components and only $20 for the coaxials. I figured the relatively low output from the Mach amp didn't warrant an investment in uber expensive speakers.

Whether it is FM radio or my iPod Shuffle (Through a cassette adapter), the highs and mids are pretty good and bass is pretty solid. Still lacks the punch of a dedicated subwoofer, which is why that is my next step. That JL amp also utilizes speaker-level inputs.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I pretty much gave up on figuring out what's possible to put into that 6x9 inch hole. No one makes a sub designed for that hole. Neither it's going to be better than a typical sub box in the trunk. In the end I have upgraded and amped all four speakers (well, the fronts replacement Infinity Reference 6832 just arrived), and there is a fifth channel in my amp that I will connect to a sealed sub box in my trunk. The deck hole will be handy in letting the sound through from the trunk into the cabin. I must admit that the gen3 rear deck setup is pretty good. I have never heard the rear speakers sound as good as in my car. Most cars have them in the rear doors or the deck that's flat. In our cars the deck is turned a few degrees. This results in the rear speakers being a lot more effective than in many cars. A few times I failed to notice that the front speakers were completely turned off (after playing with stereo's settings).

PS: I actually wouldn't recommend any bass strong speakers in the front door. My doors rattle from too much bass even with stock speakers. I will take a look at what's going on when I remove the panels. That's why I decided to put Infinity Reference 6832 in there. They're known to be good speakers, but have weak bass.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Excellent actually. Powerbass is just a cheap brand, I paid maybe $40 or $60 for the components and only $20 for the coaxials. I figured the relatively low output from the Mach amp didn't warrant an investment in uber expensive speakers.

Whether it is FM radio or my iPod Shuffle (Through a cassette adapter), the highs and mids are pretty good and bass is pretty solid. Still lacks the punch of a dedicated subwoofer, which is why that is my next step. That JL amp also utilizes speaker-level inputs.
Yeah any speaker would be better than the stock. I have the JBL system, not as much Bass but a much solid kick sounds better :p I will probably go with a better Sub and amp since well the sound is already loud enough. haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts