Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking it was drums kind of odd never had discas in the rear so did that come stock

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
yes all wagons from 96-05 came with rear discs stock.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
^ +1

the rears are smaller and are not vented due to the need for a front biased braking system.

·
Registered
189 Posts
One thing you might like to know when doing a rear brake job. You need to get a special tool and screw the caliper into retraction, as is wont press back in with a big clamp like the front one's. Think it's part of the of the parking brake set up. Ruined one of mine trying to force it, before I learned what was going on.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One thing you might like to know when doing a rear brake job. You need to get a special tool and screw the caliper into retraction, as is wont press back in with a big clamp like the front one's. Think it's part of the of the parking brake set up. Ruined one of mine trying to force it, before I learned what was going on.
what does the special tool look like

·
Registered
701 Posts

This is the caliper tool that I have. You match the pins on one of the sides with the dimples in the rear caliper piston then using a 3/8 ratchet and extension you thread the piston back in. There are better tools than the "caliper cube" but I found it to be continent when I have to work on random cars, I always have an acceptable tool for the rear brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts