Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see it everywhere, and I'm sick of it.

I'm talking about when people do little or nothing to clean the ice and snow off of their cars. It is a danger to everyone on the road.

Today, this girl at work got out of her car crying saying "I thought I was gonna die" because her wipers kept getting stuck and the snow started covering the windshield. The reason they were getting stuck is because she didn't clean off her car. Then she drove it for a while. All the snow on it started to melt. Then she parked the car and went into work. The melting snow then froze again into big chunks of ice that jammed up the wipers. Looking at it, I was surprised that the things had moved at all, there was a LOT of ice!

Then, there's those people you see who do nothing but use their wipers to get the snow off their car.

I saw a car driving today that had snow on almost all the windows except for one side of the car and the windshield. The passenger side windows had snow on them, the rear windshield was covered in snow, the roof and deck lid were covered in snow, and the hood was covered in snow. This wasn't a dusting, oh no, this car had a good three inches of snow on the car. The thing I wondred was, how was the engine staying cool with snow blocking the grille?

There's a TON of people who leave snow on the roof of their cars, and I can't tell you how many times I've seen that snow come sliding down onto the windshield as the car comes to a stop.

So please people, clean the snow off your cars good before you drive them.

·
Don't Be Stupid
7,048 Posts
It's against the law in some states

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few years ago, Massachusetts passed a new law to make it illegal to have your rear windshield covered by snow, but I have not seen it enforced at all. People are backing out of spots without any visibilty out their rear window. They just use their side mirrors, but there's 2 problems with that:

1. They aren't experienced truck drivers
2. The mirrors on cars are not truck mirrors, they are small and don't show a lot, leaving big blind spots.

Of course, then there's the people who have the snow covering their mirrors too.
:picard2:

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I brush the car off every single time. I hate having my car covered in snow.

I'd never rely on my worthless rallye mirrors for anything, let alone backing out of a parking space.

Typical self-centered laziness. Nothing matters but their time.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
1 Product makes my life easier for Cleaning my car.
The Oscar Hybrid! ITs great and makes life easier (Won it at work as door prize 2 years ago)

Everyone were to buy one of those problem would be solved... even works for a van

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Heh... Guess I am lazy... I clean off all 8 Windows, mirrors, then I get in. Then let the Wind blow the snow off the car. Never had a problem with wipers getting stuck, Typically all the snow gets blown off my car before I get to the main road. It isn't that I am lazy, it is that I am running late most the times.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
I start the car turn the heat on full blast and come back 5 to 10 mintues later. Then drive away. Wow, I haven't had to do that for almost 4 years now.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Heh... Guess I am lazy... I clean off all 8 Windows, mirrors, then I get in. Then let the Wind blow the snow off the car. Never had a problem with wipers getting stuck, Typically all the snow gets blown off my car before I get to the main road. It isn't that I am lazy, it is that I am running late most the times. [/b]
That's illegal in IL.

Leaving snow on your car and letting it "blow off" is very disrespectful IMHO. It's very dangerous for drivers behind you because it reduces their visibility, and if there are chunks of hard ice on your roof/trunk, it can actually hit their windshield and break the glass.

I ALWAYS clean my car off completely.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
I start with the roof, move onto the windows and then get the hood and trunk. The last time I didn't brush off hte car completely was when there was a 5'' layer of ice and snow I couldn't get off. After driving for half hour with the heat on, I had to stop. The ice started to melt and all went on the windshield in the middle of an intersection ... luckily it was 330am

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
<div class='quotemain'> Heh... Guess I am lazy... I clean off all 8 Windows, mirrors, then I get in. Then let the Wind blow the snow off the car. Never had a problem with wipers getting stuck, Typically all the snow gets blown off my car before I get to the main road. It isn't that I am lazy, it is that I am running late most the times. [/b]
That's illegal in IL.

Leaving snow on your car and letting it "blow off" is very disrespectful IMHO. It's very dangerous for drivers behind you because it reduces their visibility, and if there are chunks of hard ice on your roof/trunk, it can actually hit their windshield and break the glass.

I ALWAYS clean my car off completely.
[/b][/quote]

I clean "most" of it off. And drive on residential roads, which no one goes on those roads except those who are leaving, then by the time I Get to the busy roads (That actually has traffic) most of it is gone, and maybe will throw a few chunks (not much), I do my best to brush it all off, but again, if I am running late, I try to get the best I can (Oversleeping tends to be it), then getting ready, then trying to rush to class, I am good with it most the times. But I am not like the ******** who just clear a small line for their windshield, I've seen cars completely covered except the wiper marks from the windshield and maybe brushed off the windows by slamming the car door. What is worse though is the pickup trucks. You get a bed full of snow, it all wants to go out.

But I never knew it was illegal... I Never see cops to pull people over for it anyway. What I don't get is how people can leave their license plates covered with snow. I imagine that would be illegal.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Not cleaning off the license plate is illegal. Remember though that just because it's illegal doesn't mean that police pull people over for it. For example I don't have a front license plate on my SHO (which is illegal in IL) and I've never been ticketed for it. I've been pulled over twice in this car in IL, too.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
i always make sure i clean it all off. i hate when i gotta dodge crap falling off other peoples cars, i would hate to be one of those people. plus, ocd wont let me leave snow on the car once i start cleaing it lol

on a related topic, i dont mind cleaning off the car too much, what i really hate is having to dig the car out after the plow has come up the street and totally blocked you in.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I do try though. Sometimes it seems the snow doesn't want to go anywhere. I am hoping next semester I do not have classes so damn early so I don't have to stay up late to finish the assignment, then wake up early the next day and keep snoozing the alarm. I just hate snow in general, maybe after I graduate I am going to move somewhere the Taurus will love more. Where they do not salt the hell out of the roads because it does not even snow. Arizona sounds nice... Bet it is warm there too...

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
I never clean the snow off of my car. I just wipe the windows off with my arm and I'm done. If your close enough to me to be affected by the chunks falling off on the highway then your tailgating and your more dangerous than me.

It dosen't bother me the least when other people don't clean their cars off either. I don't follow close enough to be affected by it so I don't care.

Only reason I do care is when someone dosen't clean off their windows and drives like an ass hole, even though they can't see anything around them.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I don't clean mine off either. I like to see how the aerodynamics show up in real 3D. Poor man's wind tunnel I guess. :freak1:

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
A few years ago, Massachusetts passed a new law to make it illegal to have your rear windshield covered by snow, but I have not seen it enforced at all. People are backing out of spots without any visibilty out their rear window. They just use their side mirrors, but there's 2 problems with that:

1. They aren't experienced truck drivers
2. The mirrors on cars are not truck mirrors, they are small and don't show a lot, leaving big blind spots.

Of course, then there's the people who have the snow covering their mirrors too.
:picard2:
[/b]
Yeah, the side mirrors suck, but I can manage with them. I can't see out of my rear view due to massive amounts of subs/speakers. I've driven double gravel trucks around before though.

Now the people who don't clean their windows minus windshield and don't clean their mirrors (not that they could see them anyways) just confuse me, you can't see anything...

I don't clean mine off either. I like to see how the aerodynamics show up in real 3D. Poor man's wind tunnel I guess. :freak1:
[/b]
Yeah, fun to watch.

Did piss someone off back when I owned the Forester though, he followed me to the gas station and complained rather rudly that snow off of my car was hitting his car. I just told him, I can't even see your front bumper out of the rear view, stop tail gating me you idiot. He left after that. No way should you ride someones bumper that close in deep snow.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
1 Product makes my life easier for Cleaning my car.
The Oscar Hybrid! ITs great and makes life easier (Won it at work as door prize 2 years ago)

Everyone were to buy one of those problem would be solved... even works for a van
[/b]
What's an Oscar Hybrid? Google's not cooperating.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts