Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a snow day today! Work closed for only the 3rd time in 23 years. Have 29.5" at last measurement around 6:30pm. Still snowing a bit. At times today, it was coming down at 3"/hour.

The town has suspended plowing operations for the night to give the crews a break. They've been through the neighborhood 3 times today. So, they've definitely earned it!

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Got a snow day today! Work closed for only the 3rd time in 23 years. Have 29.5" at last measurement around 6:30pm. Still snowing a bit. At times today, it was coming down at 3"/hour.

The town has suspended plowing operations for the night to give the crews a break. They've been through the neighborhood 3 times today. So, they've definitely earned it!
We got a really bad kind of stuff, fine like sand grains that sting when they hit you. Very hard to shovel, snow blower labored in gear 1 of 5. Not so deep, just so grainy and heavy. Last couple times out, I made 2 trips, one way as the NW wind would be at my back and I had to come in. Coveralls were white with stuff each trip. We have had wet snow that sticks to the chute, this was not wet, more fine sleet. Wife's dog went out on the zipline while I plowed and she had a fun time. Driveway still not clear. Wind picked up more and now fine dry snow blowing over the drive. We did not move a car today, likely not tomorrow either.

Spring is on the way.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,337 Posts
And here 2 days ago they were calling for snow and "blizzard conditions", however we got HEAVY rain and a lot of wind. There were some 60mph gusts here. We are still getting some wind gusts, but nothing compared to this morning/afternoon as the storm was passing.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts
I really feel for you guys in the northeast. Here in SE Wisconsin, we had our first major snowfall since late December. Started with wet, heavy snow Sunday night, and snowed continuously until Tuesday morning. Wind gusts up to the mid 20 MPH range. The last 2/3 of the snow was lake effect snow..... light and fluffy. Storm totals were in the 10 to 15+ inch range, but varied wildly over the area. I work about 1/2 mile from lake Michigan, and the snow totals at work were in the 15+" range (the physical plant people were working overtime trying to keep the parking lots somewhat clear), but where I live, about 12 miles west of the lake, we had around 10" total. My Monday morning commute, normally 25 to 30 minutes, took 1 hour and 20 minutes. Needless to say, the snow blower got a pretty serious workout.

·
Registered
267 Posts
90 here, yesterday.
89 today. In the 80's or 90's for the foreseeable future. We'll pay for it in late May thru early October, tho.

Orange blossoms are blooming. Very sweet scented.

I wish it would snow here, but no chance of that this year. I have a 4wd Dakota with A/T tires and it's so much fun in the snow.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some pictures of the snow. First, one of the Titan and Freestar in the driveway. The Sable was tucked away in the garage. Next, my neighbors cars. Finally, my deck.

Thankfully, it was a very dry, fine snow. So, the snowblower (or its operator) didn't struggle too much. Also, no immediate roof concerns (as long as it doesn't rain anytime soon).

Attachments

·
Registered
517 Posts
Im in upstate. We got a total of 26" I believe when I looked last. I don't have a garage, but I do have covered parking. Going down a hill at slow speeds to actually move my car into the covered parking, couldn't stop and bumped into a dumpster :( my bumper already needs to be replaced, but it damaged the bumper and bent my fender a little. So sad

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
My snow blower limped long enough to get by. Belt slipping so had to do gear 1 of 5 and then it did not move the snow out like usual. Belt used to be 1/2" wide, now, kinda less and ready to break. We will not have any more snows this season so I have time. :lol2:

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
6,573 Posts
My snow blower limped long enough to get by. Belt slipping so had to do gear 1 of 5 and then it did not move the snow out like usual. Belt used to be 1/2" wide, now, kinda less and ready to break. We will not have any more snows this season so I have time. :lol2:

-chart-
Bought a new snowblower two years ago. First winter it sat in box because it didn't snow enough to open it. Opened it this year and added oil to the engine but no gas. Didn't use it this year either. Last time it was reported we were 23 inches under the average snowfall this winter. Last year about the same here in North Canton, Ohio. When I lived in Moscow, Pa. it snowed and stayed on the ground all winter long.

·
Super Moderator
7,685 Posts

-chart-
I keep 2 spare impeller / auger belts and 1 spare drive belt "in stock", along with a few shear bolts. Replacing either belt only takes 10 minutes max. Snowblower is 30 years old, and built like a tank. 10 HP, electric start, track drive, 6 forward, 2 reverse speeds. Other than belts, not many problems with the old beast in the 30 years I have had it, other than it spitting out all the balls all over the driveway from a failed impeller shaft bearing a few years ago. Found a new bearing on Amazon for $30. Half hour to replace, and back in business.

·
Administrator
14,913 Posts
Spare belts and cables kept in stock and handy. Shear bolts and wrenches stored on board. Since I picked up the F250 a few years ago the snowblower doesn't get the workout it used to. I am a big fan of the V plow.

·
Gen 5/6 Forum Moderator
3,017 Posts
Somewhat unusual, Buffalo and points north caught the brunt here. My workplace was a mess in the northtowns, southtowns home wasn't awful at all.

Explorer had to plow through a couple of drifts, but nothing it couldn't handle competently with its snows.

·
Registered
9,609 Posts
Must be SPRING.
Snow all day yesterday, tonight 33 tomorrow 70 and sunny.
Got the Lin out of the garage, (about 40 degrees in) drove west late afternoon into the sun, feet cold, upper hot, climate control giving A/C. I had to push the air to feet, blower up, temp up for a while, then back to mixed. Wagon outside, had to scrape heavy frost off this am.

-chart-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing