Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
96 taurus. replaced front front right ball joint and I could not get on the snap ring (cheap tool). I went ahead and installed spindle and all thinking I would have shop put on the snap ring when I did the alignment there. they tell me they have to take off spindle to put on ball joint's snap ring....which is too expensive and it is a pain to do myself. is there an alterntive one can use in lieu of a snap ring that can be put on without pulling everything apart or even just removing it from the control arm?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The half-shaft needs to be disconnected from the knuckle to get the snap-ring installed, it does not have to be removed from the car completely. No other options, sorry.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Dan. Is it critical to have the snap ring on? (I assume so, but seems the ball join being pressed in is pretty secure)

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I don't know which of the two scenarios will happen.

1) LCA is constantly pushing up the BJ stem, more on speed bumps and potholes. Without the snap ring, BJ body will be lifted up slightly over time.

Since there is a gap between LCA and knuckle, the lifting of BJ will continue until LCA and knuckle hit each other, or BJ gets lifted out of knuckle.

2) The BJ is press-fit into the knuckle hole. It won't go anywhere.

You can either continue to drive the car while keeping an eye on the BJ OR remove LCA from the stem and put on the snap ring. If I were you, I would do the latter.

I don't think you have to do the whole thing again. Just remove the castle nut, push down LCA until it clears the BJ stem (if necessary, loosen 2 subframe nuts a few turns), apply the snap ring, put all back together. Remember, snap ring goes to the underside of knuckle. No need to touch the axle.

·
Registered
23,582 Posts
See if you can get a pry bar or pipe through the hole on the lca and pry down. Either that, or a lg. puller.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
hi

you should be able to slip the open part of the snap ring over the stud
and then over the boot.

Get a quality tool from Channel Lock for the snap ring and you're all set.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I lowered the subframe a bit before when I initially changed out the ball joint. Scared me a bit when tightening it up it would just spin....but on one occasion it "caught" and I was able to tighten it up. So after some frustration decided to compress the axle and replace it as well. Then I believe I messed up on compressing the axle as it "kinked" a bit and then continued pressure pulled apart my whee hub bearing assembly. ugh. Now I am thinking of lowering subframe or just taking off the lower control arm.....caused myself a boat load of work all because I didn't have right tool to do a dang snap ring.
Thanks for the helpful comments....I think without little reality checks from forum guys I would have just given up on this one a while ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.