Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided one day that I was going to smoke my taillights. So I did, and that day was today. :) With the help of my Bro (not blood related), Danny (D-Fry).

So here's the installation guide....
We went with VHT Nite Shades
But any translucent paint will work.
Be ABSOLUTELY sure that it's translucent.
Because I know that someone, somewhere, will use regular old spray paint.

First things first, SAFETY-YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY. safety...

Open up the trunk and pull out the black screws with the inner locking mechanisms. See picture. There are 2 on the left and one in the rectangle shaped cavern.

After that's pulled back you'll see the taillight housing and there will be three bolt screws which will need to be loosened. See picture. The bolts are 11mm sized.

After the bolts are removed, the light will basically fall out so be ready.
You'll next have to unplug the brake and turn signal wiring harnesses. See picture.

After those are unplugged comes the fun part. What we did was take newspaper, and seal anything you don't want sprayed (anything that's not the lights and seal). See picture.

After it's sealed, you'll need something to spray on, or concrete if you prefer, and something to prop the lights up on, we used a very small toolbox. Apply coats until you have the desired pitch level. I cannot stress this enough, KEEP TRACK OF THE COATS. If you forget how many coats you put on, you're screwed, unless you've got a good eye or a friend who just happens to notice :thumb:

After that, allow them to dry for approx. 2 1/2-3 hours.
Then reinstallation and have fun.

Tomorrow we'll be doing the light housing which houses the reverse lights and reflectors, so stay tuned!!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Looks great, I'm pissed mine were perfect and then the clear coat dis not settle right and now they are not smooth

·
Registered
524 Posts
Those are hella dark hahahah. Looks badass though. I'm doing this to mine but i'm only going for a little dark, just to get rid of some of the red. Where do they sell the nightshade at? Autozone? is one can good enough?

Edit: Wow they look so dark when they are off, but they bright up more than enough still. Very nice.

Edit: Hooray! My local AAP sells it and it should be in stock! I'll have to wait for a nice day though. It's been way to humid lately.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got my can from Amazon. Right now I'm at my bro's house and when he's done babysitting at three we're going to spray the trunk light cover.

I need opinions, does the left side look brighter than the right, I think I'm 1 coat too little on the left.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Looks really good man! And yeah I think the left side is a TAD bit brighter than the right.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
bwahhaha nice "safety first" mask.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Myself, not a real fan of blacked out lenses. But that does look nice. Just be aware, in many areas, they will fail your inspection for that.

Most DOTs mandate a red reflector and that the lenses not have any coating that reduces light output. I had clear lenses on my van, but to circumvent the red reflector issue, I had red reflector tape just below them on the bumper, it met my local regulations, so they never failed me. The way my local law words it, the lens must not have any coating (blacking them out would fall in that category, the bulbs must illuminate the proper color, and a red reflector must be present.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Myself, not a real fan of blacked out lenses. But that does look nice. Just be aware, in many areas, they will fail your inspection for that.

Most DOTs mandate a red reflector and that the lenses not have any coating that reduces light output. I had clear lenses on my van, but to circumvent the red reflector issue, I had red reflector tape just below them on the bumper, it met my local regulations, so they never failed me. The way my local law words it, the lens must not have any coating (blacking them out would fall in that category, the bulbs must illuminate the proper color, and a red reflector must be present.
Good thing most areas don't have safety inspections :D No one's ever bothered me for my tinted tails.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Looks awesome, too bad a total fail on a NY inspection...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As you can see, though, on the trunk lid bonnet, right about the reverse lights...BAM red reflectors.
We did get around spraying that, but I taped off the reflectors for that same reason, good thing I did!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Duuuuude.. night pics man!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts