Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having trouble finding where smoke is coming from in the engine compartment. When heat is turned on there is a burning oil smell in the the passenger compartment as well. When at a stop light you can see smoke in the headlights. Oil was changed and some had spilled on the engine but that was since cleaned from the engine. Most of the smoke is coming from the passenger side of the engine compartment. Any help in finding the origin of the smoke would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
587 Posts
this is a very thin question so it will get a lot of thin answers. what i suggest doing is looking for leaking oil with a inspection mirror. look for seeping gasket leaks dripping on the headers most of all the valve covers. they are known to get old and leak that a starting point. that and the pcv breather valve could be bad and leaking oil. which is nortorious for the Taurus / sable on some models to go bad. but like i said it the best i can suggest.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
yup, or a power steering pump or hose, or even the radiator tank where it bolts the trans cooler in, or trans line, lots of stuff to check. since you say up by the lights

would help to know if it's a vulcan or tec as well.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Do you mean it only does it when you run the heater? And do you mean the heater only or the heater/defroster? You're going to have to pop the hood when it's doing that and see where it's coming from. Watch your oil level to see if it is losing more than normal, inspect the engine for signs of leaking oil, inspect the belt for signs that it is rubbing on something or falling apart. Check the coolant level to make sure it's not steam you are seeing instead of smoke. Good luck and let us know what you find out!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Maybe oil getting on the serp. belt from a leak. Any A/C in use at the time? Could be a seized or soon-to- bearing causing high stress on an oily belt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts