Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the smoke headlights on the newer Mustangs, so I thought of a way I could do this to my G2 GL. Lund makes a clear headlight cover. I could buy this and spray a light coat of Night Shade blackout on it. I think I will do this when I have the time, but what do you think?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I think it's a good idea since the shades would be removable and that should make the cops happy (as long as you don't drive with them on at night).

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
They already make smoked headlight covers for your car. GTS makes them I believe. My brother has them on his 93 SHO.

And FWIW he mustangs are smoked on the inside of the housings, which give it the smoked look, but do not reduce light output which headlight covers will.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I want to get a look like this by putting the a very light coat of Night Shade inside of the clear covers. I don't want the full blacked out look, which is why I want to try this.

·
Registered
933 Posts
remember the gen II SLO has a different headlight than the gen II SHO. so make sure you find the right ones. I got mine from autoventshades, just went to advance auto and asked them to order me some.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Does anybody know where I might be able to find a set of the new centennial Taurus headlights? They have the smoked look like the mustangs, and look wicked cool.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Test drive a Centennial and swap em out?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I have my headlights LIGHTLY smoked with niteshades. I did them darker on the sides to hide the orange a little better during the day and blend with the car.

It still shines through just fine.

I tinted my headlights and my tail lights. I figure if some cars come stock with the tinted headlights, and tail lights for that matter (Grand Am GT's for example) that it wouldn't be at all illegal to have mine as dark as their's (remember laws state how far away the lights and reflectors can be seen.) Just keep it light. AND Clearcoat them after they have had plenty of time to dry (so it looks shiny and keeps it looking stock.)

Here is a picture of mine.

*edit* Just a note. The tint has made a VERY small difference in the headlight brightness (not enough to not drive at night with them). I think If I had silverstars that it would go good with this mod.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
There's a big difference between what you did and what Grand Am's have. They have the interior reflectors of the headlight housings painted black, however the lensewhere the lightshines through is still 100%clear. Their light output is not being afffected at all. This is not what you did. All you did was paint the lense. To do the same thing as what a Grand Am has you would have to dissassemble your headlight housings and paint the interior pieces.

I will say that your job looks pretty good and I'm sure the headlights would be nearly as bright as stock if you put some better bulbs in.

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Sorry for not being clear I meant the tail lights of Grand Am's are very dark.. which is what I based the darkness of my tail lights off of (although from certain angles they look black, as in the picture). I did make the headlights darker on the side than any I have seen, but in sunlight the orange shines through and I feel it looks a lot nicer on the car.

I guess you can decide for yourself.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
You know there is a company that does what is called "black chrome" for your wheels that would look awesome. Get a doctor's note so you can get some limo tint and it'll look badass. Springs couldnt hurt either.

And btw post some more pics of the taillights from behind and the headlights from in front. Looks pretty nice.

http://www.goodrichtechnology.com

If I didnt already have chrome wheels I would get the stockers done in the this black pearl finish.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Originally posted by jtkz13@Jan 22 2004, 07:41 PM
Test drive a Centennial and swap em out?
not a bad idea if i say so myself. haha. We'll call that plan B.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
does anyone have a side by side comparison of what the cent. eddition lights look likenext to some normal ones?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Troop8

Mine

I just wish Trooper8 didn't have so much reflection in that pic, but you get the idea of the difference. BTW, looks great Kermit. I think you devote at least 2 hours every day just working on your car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts