Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
recently had main seal and oil pan replaced. got the car back, and getting this problem now, mechanic said the metal line that goes to one of the heater core hoses has a slight leak, however once i run the heat on high after 5 mins with engine warm, the smoke goes away, its only at first, antifreeze level is consistent in the radiator and bottle. what does it seem like

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anitfreeze smell and yes like a filmy layer, but after 5 mins with the fan on high, smell goes away and smoke does too.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Is it the metal nipple thats actually a part of the core, if so, core replacement is the only fix. If its the metal line along the firewall prior the core rubber elbow hoses, then its repairable with bulk heater hose, plastic or metal fittings and clamps.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its about 6 inches long before that rubber hose that goes to the firewall, but would that cause me to get the smoke in the car?

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
Yes, with the hvac (heat or a/c) on. Core metal nipple(s) may have a slight seep also, especially if he disturbed them during repair. Theyre quite fragile at the solder joints. Thats why if you ever remove the rubber elbow hoses from the core, its best to slit and peel them off the nipples unless youre replacing the core anyway.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so might be best if i replace the elbows and the metal line with a long piece of heater hose?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all of those lines and hoses are original btw, 88 model 22k miles, so it makes sense to change them, right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i bought a prestone super stop leak and when i opened it, it looked like oatmeal and didnt bother pouring it in.

·
Registered
23,581 Posts
You can buy the elbow hoses separate. You may have to dremel or hacksaw (close-quarters type) the crimp fittings off if any. Then get creative with plastic or metal elbows, nipples, unions, bulk heater hose and clamps. Or you can get the oem assy. from the dealer or possibly a parts store. Probably pretty pricey. Dont make any sharp bends with the bulk heater hose. Use fittings to accomplish this.

·
Registered
194 Posts
i bought a prestone super stop leak and when i opened it, it looked like oatmeal and didnt bother pouring it in.
Ya don't use that. Pepper works good and doesn't clog everything up. It's an 88 you say? hoses might be done then, I think they sell the whole assembly on rockauto.com and we get a discount there too (look in the vendor section for the code).

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
the carpet is dry, i think ill make a hose and fit it up, sucks that it smokes like that if its not the core. that car always melts off my face with heat so its wierd that it happened like that all of the sudden maybe if they jacked the motor and put pressure on the hoses, anyways will change the hose and let you all know how it goes, thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
just noticed antifreeze dripping right under the radiator, this could sum up the smell coming in, but what about the little bit of smoke?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
just noticed antifreeze dripping right under the radiator, this could sum up the smell coming in, but what about the little bit of smoke?
Coolant is vaporizing off of your hot heater core and "smoking" out of your ductwork. Weather or not it's coming into the core compartment from outside or the core itself is leaking, remains to be determined. You said the core is original?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes heater core is original and the radiator has about 500 miles on it

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I would top off the system and run it until it gets good and hot, then do a close inspection looking for drips and/or leaks. Use a good bright flashlight if it helps. Early/beginning leaks on a coolant system can be hard to pin down, until they get worse. I would change out a heater core that old if I even suspected it might be leaking. Have to do a water pump soon that is starting to drip....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.