Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so yesterday i was at work all day, and i noticed that sometimes while idling i could smell gas! I thought possibly it was a leak so i drove the right side up onto an embankment at the beer store and scoured the underbody of the car for wet spots looking for a gas leak, and found nothing!!

1994 Taurus Vulcan
I have no check engine light or anything, but a month or two ago i did the plugs and one of them was pretty much demolished, it looked like the "L" shaped arm was broken off, the chilton manual says its from predetonation...

Anyways, simple problem? I was thinking of buying new wires... but im swapping the motor soon and dont know if its worth it.

Can any of you guys tell me if you think its something else I can check?

thanks all

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
if you smell gaz coming for the engire running and there is no leak it mean your car is not burning the gaz

check the plug timing and wire and cap

if anything it there

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hrmmm.... well. that was informative and made me feel horribly stupid all at the same time!!! lol

gawd i dont think things through sometimes.. i got WAY to much on the go.

thanks mooby! ima have to check that sometime tomorrow while im tearing a 3.8 out... ahhhh MORE TORQUE!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah.. lol the gas cap clicks solid, and im pretty sure its airtight cause after running a whole tank of gas it makes a suction sound when i open it for a new tank..

Im guessing it must be a detonation problem... one of the plugs i took out and replaced a few months ago was blown all to snot... instead of a L at the bottome of the plug it was a I ... the gap area was all gone and chiltons says thats most likely a predetonation problem?,,

hrmm.. maybe new wires are in the makes for the 3.0 before she goes =]

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
hummm but be carefull it can be a stupid thing but it can be internal ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts