Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After searching all over these forums i was unable to find anything on it but we have a 97 Taurus G. The gas pedal has a lot of excess play....i can probably lift it and drop it a good inch and a half, maybe more. Is there an easy fix to this? Maybe tighten up a cable or something? I know theres way more play then there should be. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Check and make sure that when the pedal is put to the floor, the TB is fully opened. If that's the case, then you have nothing to worry about. My pedal is the same way.

·
Super Moderator
8,722 Posts
Every car I have ever owned (none with ETC) have done that.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Same here. I can put my foot under it and lift it up a good ways. Never really thought about it actually. I just cared that when I pushed down on it, the car was given fuel :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
QUOTE (zorrex @ May 28 2010, 07:51 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807410
Check and make sure that when the pedal is put to the floor, the TB is fully opened. If that's the case, then you have nothing to worry about. My pedal is the same way.[/b]
+1.

The only issue like this that actually was an issue was a taurus belonging to an ancient woman. The pedal was basically on the floor and could only pressed maybe a half inch to accelerate. The cable was stretched out somehow. She only came in for an oil change and wasn't complaining about so I decided not say anything about it. If I put a new cable in and she drove the same way, she would've gone flying into traffic...

·
Registered
955 Posts
how can you tell if the cable is opening the TB all the way?

I thought with newer cars (fuel injection) pressing on the accelerator pedal with the car off was a 'bad' thing (something about flooding the engine with fuel).

Or am I completely off based?

I just remember this being up from New England. The older cars, if they wouldn't start, one would tap the gas pedal a bit and then they would turn over.

·
Registered
179 Posts
have a friend rev it in park while you watch... take the little plastic cover off so you can see the springs instead of pulling intake hoses off... but with it off you can remove the hose going to the throttle and see where the springs should be at WOT, but i REALLY DO NOT recommend running your car (even for a minute) without all intake hoses set right... it can take less time than that to mess everything up...

my 97 has quite a bit of play on the pedal, but it's never a problem, and my 94 silverado did the same...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Dropping the pedal with your car off is bad?

I just had my friend drop the pedal with the car off, and I checked under the hood to see if I could push the throttle open any more with my hand. If you want to raise it up, just put zip ties around the cable between the pedal and the end of the cable.

·
Registered
121 Posts
QUOTE (ricer333 @ May 28 2010, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=807460
how can you tell if the cable is opening the TB all the way?

I thought with newer cars (fuel injection) pressing on the accelerator pedal with the car off was a 'bad' thing (something about flooding the engine with fuel).

Or am I completely off based?

I just remember this being up from New England. The older cars, if they wouldn't start, one would tap the gas pedal a bit and then they would turn over.[/b]
If you floor the pedal with the key off in a fuel injected car nothing will happen. If you do it in a carb car it will flood the engine.

·
Registered
107 Posts
In fact, putting the pedal to the floor in a fuel-injected car turns the injectors OFF. If you crank the car a few times and it doesn't start, you're supposed to floor it while cranking to keep from dumping more fuel into a non-firing cylinder...but that's beside the point of this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts