Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

Started a new problem 3 days ago.
Since three days, car starts slowly. I don't need to release the ignition, it starts in one attempt, but it takes some time to start.

I thought battery is shot, I got it checked at Autozone, and battery and Alternator turned out fine.
My next guess would be starter motor. There is no clicking / rubbing sound, so solenoid and flywheel is engaging correctly.

I have been seeing a little oil on Started motor(not on Solenoid) everyday. Oil is too little to form a drop and drip. I tightened the oil filter, but a very little oil still appears everyday.

1. Is it possible that the oil may have got into starter motor, causing this ? I guess not, as starter motor is a sealed unit(else all the rain splashed water will get in).

2. Could the oil be fouling the electrical connectors(to supply power) ? I guess not, as connectors are on solenoid and not on starter motor. And solenoid is bone dry.

3. Do the starters start behaving like this all of sudden ?

After starting car runs good, no problem, so i am not sure what could be the problem.

Here is the audio of the starting, it will give you guys the exact situation:
http://snapdrive.net/files/437014/voicememo1_Final2.mp3

Kindly suggest, what could be causing it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Do you mean that it isn't cranking as fast as it used to or that it's cranking the same speed but not firing right away?

It sure sounds like a starter motor on the way out but just wanted to make sure I understand the problem. Good luck!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Audio file attached, showing how exactly its starting now.
Earlier it used to start instantly.
please help !!

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
If it's cranking slowly like the car had a weak battery, but the battery checked and tested fine, then it's a good possibility the starter is on it's way out. Sometimes starters just died without any warning and other times, you will notice they starter cranking slower and slower over a short period of time. But before jumping and replacing the start check over your cables for corrosion that could be putting on extra resistance.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried starting the car today, and couldn't start it at all. its making chi chi chi sound, starter is trying to start it, but not able to turn over.

Cleaned the battery terminals for corrosion, with baking soda - car still didn't start.

Gave a good look to the starter terminals, and they look all snug and tight.

Gave a good look for oil leak, and I noticed the pan gasket wet all around. So pan gasket, its leaking little oil on the starter. There is no oil on the solenoid, and all the electrical connections are dry.

What do you guys think has caused the problem? starter was fine, and all of sudden one day it started acting up.
Is the oil dropping on the starter motor causing the problem? is there any way for this oil to get in the motor ?
if not, i will not care about the oil pan gasket, and just replace the starter.

Kindly advice!!
i just have tomorrow's day to fix this. if car is not fixed by tomorrow, i will have to way to get to work on Monday.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Just replaced my started after having he same symptoms as you. Just one day, I went to start the car and it started, but almost like it had a weak battery. I managed through about 4 more days of that, then once I installed the new starter, all was good again.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you say the battery was load tested okay then I think it would be reasonable to go ahead and replace the starter. While it is probably possible for the dripping oil to have caused a problem I really doubt that is the cause, most likely just an internal short in the windings.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The battery is load tested fine at Autozone.
Also, i tried to jump start the car, with another car, and no luck. So, battery is not a problem.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
got the starter replaced.. car is fine now.
could't do it myself. the upper nut of the starter was too hard for me to get out. stripped my 13mm socket. finally paid 50 bucks, and got it done.
i needed car fixed today, I have to take it for a week long business trip tomorrow.

I am slowly coming to a point where my love for this car is going away, and I am getting more convinced of getting rid of it. I have spent $1000 in it in last 3 months : ball joints, sway bar links, cam shaft synchro, fuel filter, spark plugs, tranny cooler, starter, spark plugs, brake shoes & drums etc.
I have owned this since 2 years / 21K miles, and I guess I am almost done.

I am not a mechanic, and I don't want to think of car all the time, but this car always have something wrong. i am feeling that I need to concentrate my time n energy in my career n not in this car. i m getting more n more convinced abt buying a car with 100K miles warranty, so that i never have to deal with the crap.

sorry for letting my frustration out.
thx for all the help !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts