Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Mercury sable ohv runs smoothly and is faster than my 2003 taurus dohc, the taurus ran slow as a tank when i first got it. Gave it a full tune up and runs better now. But still my ohv sable will still blow it away in a race.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Well with the Taurus Tranny, im not sure I would be racing anything LOL.

Pushrod (OHV) engines are always better than OHC engines down low. Its in the higher RPM range that the OHC shines, but by then the race could be lost.

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
My wifes 06 Vulcan could probably take my 05 Tec off the line for maybe 20 or 30 feet. After that, the Tec will leave the Vulcan way way back in the dust.

Check for dragging brakes, clogged cats, crushed exhaust pipes, etc.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
How do you check for clogged cats.?
Tap them lightly with a hammer and listen for the sound. Clanking or rattling is a bad sign. Usually one of the two will break apart and clog the third one. Will seriously rob power and if it gets bad enough the car will start blowing DPFE sensors constantly.

You should definitely notice massive power gains on a 'Tec, so something isn't right. Mine gets on the highway with the same ease as most modern cars which is pretty impressive.

·
Registered
504 Posts
My 2003 Mercury sable ohv runs smoothly and is faster than my 2003 taurus dohc, the taurus ran slow as a tank when i first got it. Gave it a full tune up and runs better now. But still my ohv sable will still blow it away in a race.

Just curious, how many miles on the Taurus? As others have stated, the OHV should be snappier off the line but the DOHC would be noticeably faster as soon as the rpm's climb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts