Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm really glad that I found this forum--seems like it is quite active and has a lot of knowlege on it. I'll throw this one out to you. Every now and then it feels like the trans is slipping on the 1-2 shift on very light acceleration on our 1999 car. If you press a bit harder on the acc it usually will not slip. It seems that it happens to me more than the Wife but I thinkn that she accelerates harder than I do since I normally drive our diesel truck and have a habbit of taking off real slow.

I haven't dropped the pan to see if there are metal filings or not. The trans has 135K miles on it. Any ideas where I shoulod start looking?? I will say that the CEL is lit but when we scanned it, it showed an EGR pressure sensor (NOT the valve) and we have replace 2 and for some reason it goes through them very quickly. The car performs normally and fuel consumption is not affected by it AND it passes smog easilly so we live with the light. To my knowlege, the CEL is not related to the trans at all--correct??

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
cel can be. but if the code are just for the egr then you need to see why the sensors keep failing , pluged tube maybe.

i would suggest dropping the pan and refilling the trans. Once the trans starts slipping there is no going back just slowing down the progression. Start saving for another trans or car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (crackhead @ Apr 17 2009, 11:59 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=718376
i would suggest dropping the pan and refilling the trans. Once the trans starts slipping there is no going back just slowing down the progression. Start saving for another trans or car.[/b]
Pretty well figured that :( We'd like to get another 2 yr out of it since it runs great and the body is pretty much perfect--we'll see.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
I think I know what you're talking about. Ever since I got my car the shift from first into second has never felt solid. It's always mushy and the tranny will hang in between gears for almost a second. However, I've found that if I do a few hard accelerations the tranny will adjust and the 1-2 shift becomes fast and very solid. It's very weird and annoying as it makes me feel like a granny most of the time as I drive. I think it could be a sign of the tranny slowly dying or just the computer trying to be 'economical.'

1 - 4 of 4 Posts