Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a slight wobble on the front right tire (or it seems that way). It rides very smooth at higher speeds. I have new tires rotated and balanced and the care does not pull any direction. There is a noise very low that is in cadence with the "wobble". Very strange.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I suppose it could be any number of things. If you just rotated the tires check the tire that used to be there and look for any unusual wear. Jack up that corner and check for play in the ball joint and tie rod end. Even if you can't feel anything you might need to have someone watch underneath while you put pressure on the wheel. If it were a constant sound I would suspece hub bearing but that doesn't sound like it. Also check the strut rod bearing to see if it is moving around.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Without seeing the car in person, I would put my first guess at the tire being the issue. It could also be a bent rim. Since it was brought up front from the rear. A bent rim in back will go by un-noticed very easy. When I had my '99 sedan with cheap tires, I would always have tire noise issues. It very well could be the bearing also, but if this just started when the tires were rotated, I would say tire or rim.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
..........Jack up that corner and check for play in the ball joint and tie rod end. Even if you can't feel anything you might need to have someone watch underneath while you put pressure on the wheel..........
Does this apply to a rear wheel drive vehicle that has pitman arm and idler arm? Is some movement (visible) inevitable in a healthy front because of the additional pivot joints?

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
Does this apply to a rear wheel drive vehicle that has pitman arm and idler arm? Is some movement (visible) inevitable in a healthy front because of the additional pivot joints?

This is for any front end. The set up of ball joints and tie rod ends should not have any noticable play in them. They are a ball in socket and shoulf be very firm. If you have wobble, then you have problems. With your hands at 12 and 6, pull with the top & push with the bottom, switch...keep doing this. If you have movement you probably have ball joint problems. With your hands at 3 & 9, same thing but if you have movement, you probably have tie rod problems. If you get it both ways, I would look at your bearings before changing ball joints and tire rods.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
This is for any front end. The set up of ball joints and tie rod ends should not have any noticable play in them. They are a ball in socket and shoulf be very firm. If you have wobble, then you have problems. With your hands at 12 and 6, pull with the top & push with the bottom, switch...keep doing this. If you have movement you probably have ball joint problems. With your hands at 3 & 9, same thing but if you have movement, you probably have tie rod problems. If you get it both ways, I would look at your bearings before changing ball joints and tire rods.
Your were the first person who gave me a definitive answer. Now I know I need to replace some pivot joints - what they are I don't know yet. I just know there was a visible movement when I checked the 3-9 direction. Thank you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts