Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! It's been a while. Good news, my baby (99 DOHC) is running like a champ..well, close to one. I spent this previous Thursday and Friday at the local junk yards looking for parts for her (clear lights, solid brake light, center console, center caps!). Still no automatic door the right color, but it's a work in progress.

Anyway, while in the junk yard I found my car. Same year, same color, same engine..only difference I could tell was the color of the seats. Regardless, she had been in a collision--front end smashed, glass broken, very very sad. I checked the sticker on the window..last Oil Change 8/17/11. The odometer? 61k miles. I'm pretty sure if she had a key (and a battery) this Taurus would crank right up. Too bad I don't need any engine parts.

What is one of the saddest things you guys have seen in the scrap yard?

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
Found a gen 4 that had a fire under the hood. Would be good block and heads I'm sure.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
A relatively intact 1968 Lincoln Continental- I don't have a photo to post, but it would have looked like this when brand-new:

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
A few weeks ago I saw a '58 T-bird an an LKQ all but stripped..WHY would ANYONE send it to a pick and pull.., it wasn't in great shape but someone could have given it a chance...:(.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Last trip to the scrap heaps, I saw a current generation Fusion - sparkling condition; aside from the fact that it looked like it had been hit by a train at the driverside fender.

·
Registered
10,940 Posts
Found a gen 4 that had a fire under the hood. Would be good block and heads I'm sure.
Not much demand for engines.

At my local I found a '03 Sable prem with 44K hit in front and air bags off. Someone had taken all the seats. I got the blower, and blend door motor on half price day. Got PS pump, alternator, and DPFE as the engine was out and on the ground. someone had taken the trans and left the engine on the ground. Last time I was there they had gathered the out engines up and put them in a pile by the back fence. Not much demand. Once the engine leaves the car it came from, you have no clue about it's mileage. They now paint the mileage on the windshield.

So, good for us pickers that there is a supply of good parts. Some cars die that others might live again.

-chart-

·
Registered
538 Posts
The first time I went to a scrap yard after buying my Taurus, looking for a trunk light bar, I felt so good for having bought a Taurus; it takes a matter of seconds to spot one upon entering the yard. But, more than that, thanks to the number of them in the yard... you can be very picky about the part you're trying to get. I had about six G3s to choose from, and found a pristine one.

$10.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Glad to hear you got the car on the road!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. Speaking of sad, a girl I work with crushed a running Galaxy because she didn't want it anymore and didn't have time to sell it. Wish I would have known before!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I went to my local pull-a-part last Saturday to get a few parts for my Crown Vic and saw quite a few Sables and Tauruses. The saddest was a Gen 2 SHO. If you've ever seen Conan O'brien's SHO, that's exactly what this car looked like. Very clean engine. Also saw a ton of Gen 3 and 4 wagons which was sad for me because I'm a big fan of the wagons.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Not exactly sad, somewhat comical, but just about every salvage yard I've gone to has at least one every vehicle I've ever owned. It's kind of funny to walk through with someone and say "I've owed one of those, and one of those, and two of these..."

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
I haven't actually seen it but there's a yard by me..one of those...YOU CAN'T GO IN MY YARD!!! type places, but he has a Taurus with ONLY 64,000 on it I know as when I got my blower motor from him it said it on the invoice. Bet there is a lot of good parts on it!!
I will TRY to talk him into letting me go out there with someone to see what s left if any one wants anything. I'm sure I will!!!!l

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
When i got a rack for my 98 last week, it came off of a wrecked 68K 98 There were a few interesting carcases. two Lincoln limos. a 61 or so falcon ranchero. 59 Cadillac. 58 ford

·
Former Moderpony
1,215 Posts
Hi guys! It's been a while. Good news, my baby (99 DOHC) is running like a champ..well, close to one. I spent this previous Thursday and Friday at the local junk yards looking for parts for her (clear lights, solid brake light, center console, center caps!). Still no automatic door the right color, but it's a work in progress.

Anyway, while in the junk yard I found my car. Same year, same color, same engine..only difference I could tell was the color of the seats. Regardless, she had been in a collision--front end smashed, glass broken, very very sad. I checked the sticker on the window..last Oil Change 8/17/11. The odometer? 61k miles. I'm pretty sure if she had a key (and a battery) this Taurus would crank right up. Too bad I don't need any engine parts.

What is one of the saddest things you guys have seen in the scrap yard?
Not really sad, but I found a gen 4 in a jy near me that looked like it had been t-boned by a semi. The passenger seat was basically on top of the driver's seat. :eek: I highly doubt anyone was able to walk away from that accident, and anyone in the passenger seat would've likely been dead.

It's a strange and scary feeling seeing what could happen to your car.

And no, it did not have side airbags.

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
The Taurus has a five star rating for front impact and only a three star for side.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Saddest thing I ever saw in pick-yer-part was my old 71 LTD. I took one of the roof pillar emblems in remembrance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your actual car, not just one like it?
If any of you ever come across a white 1995 Olds Cutlass Ciera with a red interior but the two horn-button sections on the steering wheel are blue, think of me. That one ought to be recognizable. AFAIK it is being driven now and still has some productive years ahead of it. But I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts