Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, it's like pouring gas on a fire if you ask for opinions in the TCCA, but my sister is looking into getting either Sirius or XM radio. Sirius has better promo offers, but we don't know anybody who actually has it to vouch for 'performance'. So if you've got one or the other, let me know what you think. Thanks

J

·
0 Posts
I have friends that have Sirius and XM. XM Completely blows Sirius out of the water w/ quality, reliability, amount of good music on the stations, etc. Just my .02

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I've got the XM Roday and so far I've been happy with the programming. Itseven better now because all music channels are commercial free.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool. thanks guys. if she gets xm, i'm going to get the hardware stuff for my car and we're going to get the family plan thing, or whatever it's called... so it'll only be 6.99 a month for me.

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Feb 15 2004, 08:45 PM
I have friends that have Sirius and XM. XM Completely blows Sirius out of the water w/ quality, reliability, amount of good music on the stations, etc. Just my .02
When you say reliability, can you explain that? I am considering satelite radio down the line as well, so this thread interests me

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
another thing I thought of... If I got a new HU that was XM ready, what would I still have to buy?

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
i like sirius. buuuut everybody else seems to like xm...so i think i'll mosey outta this forum.

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Ryne@Feb 16 2004, 01:51 PM
another thing I thought of... If I got a new HU that was XM ready, what would I still have to buy?
From my understanding you will need the antenna and tuner.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Feb 16 2004, 04:32 PM-->QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Feb 16 2004, 04:32 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-jason8225
@Feb 15 2004, 08:45 PM
I have friends that have Sirius and XM.  XM Completely blows Sirius out of the water w/ quality, reliability, amount of good music on the stations, etc.  Just my .02 
When you say reliability, can you explain that? I am considering satelite radio down the line as well, so this thread interests me
[/b]
The Sirius cuts out from time to time in certain areas such as under bridges or when passing through certain areas where things hang over you in the city. I have only seen this problem once on the XM.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have Sirius. On an annual contract, it's actually cheaper than XM at around $9.50 per month.

I've listened to both extensively, and they're both good. The sound out of Sirius is slightly better, and XM is said to be at "near CD" quality. I think from a technology perspective, Sirius is better with its three geosynchronous satellites versus XM's 2 geostationary satellites.

If you're looking for music and sports, then there's no comparison - Sirius wins hands down.

Do yourself (and sister) a favor before you finalize your decision. Log on to the Sirius website and they have free streaming for all their music channels. If you are not a subscriber, you can listen for 20 minutes. If you are a subscriber, then you can listen 24/7 for free. But listen to the channels, and listen to what they're playing. XM does not stream.

With a ready head unit, you need an antenna and a box. Sirius was running a kenwood special where you could get the kenwood box for free with the purchase of the antenna.

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
My wife's new 2004 Honda Accord EX V6 Coupe came STANDARD with the XM Radio from the factory (new for '04 models)
:jawdrop:
I think it is great. Although I did buy some sirius stock about a year ago, but have since sold it.

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, she got the Sirius. She only had to call me once for help on the install, so I'm proud of her for that
. It quit working on the way home from work yesterday, so we'll see what happens with it today. But, then again, I just remembered that she only called me once...

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by saerandy@Feb 16 2004, 05:44 PM
I have Sirius. On an annual contract, it's actually cheaper than XM at around $9.50 per month.

I've listened to both extensively, and they're both good. The sound out of Sirius is slightly better, and XM is said to be at "near CD" quality. I think from a technology perspective, Sirius is better with its three geosynchronous satellites versus XM's 2 geostationary satellites.

If you're looking for music and sports, then there's no comparison - Sirius wins hands down.

Do yourself (and sister) a favor before you finalize your decision. Log on to the Sirius website and they have free streaming for all their music channels. If you are not a subscriber, you can listen for 20 minutes. If you are a subscriber, then you can listen 24/7 for free. But listen to the channels, and listen to what they're playing. XM does not stream.

With a ready head unit, you need an antenna and a box. Sirius was running a kenwood special where you could get the kenwood box for free with the purchase of the antenna.
coool, I signed up for a free 3 day trial (actually I'm on my second trial right now :uptosumpn: ). I'm really liking sirius, almost to the point where I'm ready to buy a tuner for it. Going to check out XM soon, but I'm already in love with sirius.

J

·
0 Posts
Since this discussion, I've gotten XM - probably about a month or so ago now and I absolutely love it! I'm completely satisfied with it. :) I used it on the entire trip to ROTB and back - it made the time pass much quicker and if I started to get sleepy on the road, I'd just flip over to the comedy station and roll the windows down and it did a really nice job of keeping me from wanting to doze off. I've been stuck in infinite amounts of traffic, too - it's really nice then so I don't get bored. Overall, it's been awesome! XM is only $9.99/month on the regular month-to-month plans and it gets much cheaper when you buy a year or two or three in advance. :)

X

·
0 Posts
Does anyone know which station on XM would be comparable to Altnation on Sirius? I'm trying to compare these two and Altnation is my favorite on Sirius, but I'm having trouble finding something similar on XM :headscratch:

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT@Jun 23 2004, 12:20 AM
Does anyone know which station on XM would be comparable to Altnation on Sirius? I'm trying to compare these two and Altnation is my favorite on Sirius, but I'm having trouble finding something similar on XM :headscratch:
What is Altnation? Alternative music I presume? :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts