Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys...
so I got a free sirius radio and I hate its FM transmission... Primarily because every band is either occupied or there is traces of a very far away station...
so I went out and got this...
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/SIRIUS-FM-D...roductDetail.do

I was extremely excited because I really thought it would solve my problem but when I take the radio out I am surprised by the fact that the antenna is not standardly plugged in... Arrrrghhhhhhh!!!!
I hate ford for putting it all in a single connector....

Now I'm really sad I can't listen to my sat radio decently so I decided to see if you guys have a solution...
Please will somebody help me!!!

ps.: I need something cheap because I might have to return the car... (got some mechanical problems that me and the dealer might not agree on fixing)

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hey guys...
so I got a free sirius radio and I hate its FM transmission... Primarily because every band is either occupied or there is traces of a very far away station...

I was extremely excited because I really thought it would solve my problem but when I take the radio out I am surprised by the fact that the antenna is not standardly plugged in... Arrrrghhhhhhh!!!!

Now I'm really sad I can't listen to my sat radio decently so I decided to see if you guys have a solution...

ps.: I need something cheap because I might have to return the car... (got some mechanical problems that me and the dealer might not agree on fixing)

Thanks guys
[/b]
Instead of dropping dollars on a PIE unit (best sound quality), why not get a $10 tape deck adapter to hold you over until you find out whether you are keeping the car?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention.... My car doesn't have either tape... or CD... so I do need to use FM or rig something up to get the audio in...

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
then you have no choice to replace the unit

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I forgot to mention.... My car doesn't have either tape... or CD... so I do need to use FM or rig something up to get the audio in...
[/b]
I'm not sure if Ford used a different RCU for the non-tape deck models, but if they didn't, you should be able to pull back the carpet on the left hand side of the trunk. On the driver side fenderwell, you should see a metal box...that's the RCU, radio control unit. Do you see an open "jack" (13/14 pin connector) for a CD changer? If so you can buy a PIE adapter http://www.myradiostore.com/auxadapters/fa...d/frdr-aux.html

You'll also need a 2000 Taurus tape deck, which should cost your tree fitty at the junkyard (you'll need it, cause it'll have the CD changer button).

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Hey guys...

Thanks guys
[/b]
ouch, i thought you had an lx for a moment, but they didnt make lx with the ffv engine did they?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Yes they did have FFV w/the LX.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is an LX and it is FFV...
For all the other answers.. I guess Im gonna leave it the way it is... I don't wanna put much labor into something i might not keep cuz the mechanical list of problems is not small....
but thanks for the help guys...
I might try another FM transmitter or just rush on getting another car... I hope I can find another taurus that I like

c'ya

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Go see if you can find a privately owned one w/maintenance records. If you want a car w/cruise, power driver seat, in-dash cd (01 and up), ABS, and a few other things look for the SES model. 01-03 models are pretty decent if you want to keep it in the same $ range as your 00 LX. Good luck B)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips... I'll keep it in mind when i restart the hunt.. Im just trying to figure out if I'll buy a pickup truck or another taurus...
here is the list of problems:
stabilizers,
random/multiple cylinder misfires,
ABS,
big loss of coolant,
camshaft sensor,
exhaust noises when passenger on back seat,
10 to 15 mpg last couple weeks,
oil light blinks when engine on working temperatures and RPM on idle..
ball joint left front side,
axle seals, both sides, leaking...

that's what I can remember...
lol

c'ya

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so I would plug this into the box located on the trunk?
my car is getting worse and its kinda misfiring really bad right now so if i don't return it this weekend, i'll try to do this...
thanks for the help guys!!

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
so I would plug this into the box located on the trunk?
my car is getting worse and its kinda misfiring really bad right now so if i don't return it this weekend, i'll try to do this...
thanks for the help guys!!
[/b]
Yeah, using the antenna adapters posted above you will put the box in line with the RCU in the trunk. This thing does not look like it'd reach the trunk though. The XM box I used had a huge wire that would lead to the xm radio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts