Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked for the factory power specs on the taurii and sables but can't seem to find an answer....

Seeing as how I have a hole in the top of my muffler, I decided to do some exhaust work. Well, I ended up picking up an aftermarket (OE style) Y pipe to run dual exhaust, and plan to run dynomax super turbos after I run it muff-less for a while.

Has anyone heard if there is a power difference between single and dual exhaust options on a 3.8 sable?

·
Registered
833 Posts
The only power gains with dual exhaust is through true dual, headers through x/h/ or straight back. Splitting from one to two after the manifold won't do anything for power, maybe sound or looks, but that's it.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The only power gains with dual exhaust is through true dual, headers through x/h/ or straight back. Splitting from one to two after the manifold won't do anything for power, maybe sound or looks, but that's it.
^+1 Power difference is minimal at best. I think the single exhaust Tecs are rated like 5HP less than the duals by Ford, if that. The single runs a larger diameter pipe and muffler, and flow is almost identical. My dual does look cool though, LOL!

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
ive had probably 5 or 7 different exhausts on 3 different taurus/sable, 2 of which duratec on vulcan.

NONE impact performance at all, even removing 3rd cat using a magnaflow resonator and straight pipes, gained nothing.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I got gains with mine, but as stated, gains are minimal. To really get any more, I had to switch out the stock cats for some true high flow ones. That picked up a bit in the top end.

So single or duals, that debate has little to do with performance, its really more about sound. To me the duals do sound better, but they are also easier to screw up.

·
Registered
198 Posts
i have a 3.8 and i was gonna run duels. where would a guy find headers for a 3.8l fwd motor????????? i looked and looked and the only option im ran into is custom made and their 1300 sor a set and thats a bit much in my eyes.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
The duals we are talking about here are not true duals, they are really just a cosmetic and sound thing. I would doubt anyone makes headers for your engine, custom is likely your only option.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well the new exhaust is on... and the results are in.

ok, so I had a "holy" muffler and a little flex pipe leak, so I hunted an after axle pipe because I grew up a muscle guy, and I like the looks of duals (I know, I can't stand "Duel Exhuast" it just grates my nerves. I mean, it's just a matter of trying to be taken seriously... {end rant}). Found myself a nice 17.99 pipe while searching the walker catalog. It opened up at 2.25 and my existing pipe was 2" factory, so I skipped to P&W (The best muffler guy I know just outside of the Bristol area here. You gotta come see a Bristol race if you haven't...)

He said he'd get my mid pipe bent up with a "good quiet" resonator (sry, no details) and a new flanged flex in 2.25 no hangers, that was my cost cutting responsibility, I can bend and mig some 5/16 rod for rubber mounts to be a better fit than factory anyhow. So right now I have 2.25 flex back, split at the axle to dual 2" and run at 45 out each side, no mufflers, angle cut steel pipe tails, nothing flashy. It's a lot quieter than you might imagine, and sounds a little too raw but I could grow to love it.

Edit: he charged me 70 for the flex/resonator assy, gasket, and a couple 24" tails with a 45 bend in each. I did the work. After mufflers I'll be into it for about 130, some gas and wire. I'm happy with that.

Power gain? Don't think so. Will check mileage, add mufflers, and report back on any other changes.

Possible effect of loss of backpressure: sometimes the trans seems to hold a gear longer than it should before it shifts, really only noticable passing on the highway (possibly only at wot) TPS WOT checks out at 4.9v return signal. There is not a resulting slow engagement, clunk or jerk in the subsequent shift, it feels healthy. Just a little late on the upshift. When I can find my camera charger I'll post pics and a clip on "the youtube"
Happy hunting, Rabbit season? no.... Fruiting mycellium season!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts