Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have posted before reguarding issues with an AX4N transmission on a 03 Sable sedan dohc. My problems ended up being a bad spline in the torque converter but I was unable to find any issues that may have caused the damage. I did replace the torque converter with a refurbished one and installed a new filter while I was at it. No leaks are present and everything seems fine until about 20 minutes of driving at which point if slowing to a stop (at a red light) the car continuously tries to pull itslef very strongly without the idle changing. It pulls and then stops pulls and stops and will continuously do this at any stop in drive 1, 2, drive, and od but not in reverse. Any ideas would be great and I have the car parked for now until I figure this out with your help to prevent damaging the new torque converter. Thanks

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The torque converter uses pressure to release the lockup clutch. Sounds like that pressure is too low. Don't drive it like that. Is the fluid level ok? If it is high you could have foaming of the fluid. Since air is compressible the pump is less efficient and the pressures are low. If it is low the pump sucks in air, and the same thing happens.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just syphoned out .75 quarts of fluid and am letting idle right now and plan to check it in a bit after it's heated up. I also just bought some stop leak that claims to fix sticky valves and I plan to put this in if people here agree that it's safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When driving it also has a flashing exclamation mark in the dash panel I am not sure what this means on the sable as it is my daughters but on my Mazda it's for tire pressure. Is this a sort of service soon where I could get some diagnostic codes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
First, don't use the stop leak as it swells, then destroys, the seals. Second the exclamation point is transmission trouble light. There are codes, but I personally have never retrieved them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i am kind of screwed atm i suppose. the fluid level is fine and i actually had to add back all but a small amount of fluid i siphoned out to make it that way. the transmission is now slipping majorly and still trying to pull itself in a jerky manner in drive when stopped. the exclamation point is not flashing any longer so pulling codes is probably not an option since the car doesn't think it has an error correct? any ideas? this is horrible as i just replaced this torque converter but thank god it has a warranty but still tearing the car down again will suck a big one and i still don't know the culprit.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Maybe you had pump damage that caused the original spline failure. You can check the pressures with a guage hooked up to test ports. Of course, If you think the pump is damaged, running it more could make it worse.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i took the pump apart when i changed the torque converter and although i dont know alot about cars i couldnt tell that anything was wrong with the pump itself. the top and bottom rings were whole, the spline was good, and the fin things that go around the wheel were fine. i also checked the caged bearing which was in place and seemed fine. all retaining clips on valves seemed to be not damaged and all the valves seemed to function. again i dont know much about cars so i might not have known what i was looking for.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I don't think there was a AX4N in 1993. It would have been an AXODE/AX4S.

The AX4N is an improved version of the basic AXOD, and is more reliable. This transaxle shifts non-synchronously (as indicated by the "N" in AX4N) resulting in improved shift quality over the previous AX4S. It was used in the 1996-up Taurus SHO models, but also found its way into some 1994 and 1995 Vulcan-powered models. It was standard on Duratec-powered models. It became standard with both engines in 2003. It was renamed the 4F50N in 2001. Applications:

The data plate code is "X."

there was no DOHC in a 93 sable either. I assume you mean a GEN3 of some
variety?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm sorry it's an 03 and it was an iPhone typo as the 9 and 0 are so close together. And this is duratec dohc engine and definitely ax4n. At this point I am lost. Grr

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quick wrap-up.

2003 sable sedan - duratec dohc engine - ax4n tranny

original problem - complete loss of all gears and tranny fluid showing over full by several inches

preformed - dropped pan and drained fluid looked nice and only fine metal on magnet. Removed valve body cover and valve body. Pump, pump shaft, and all valves seemed okay. Torque converter spline completely wore down.

Removed transmission and replaced torque converter with a refurbished model. Reassembled car.

Car ran fine until fluid heated up at which point the car would jerk and try to move itself violently during stops in drive. Rechecked fluid might have been a tad high maybe less than a pint and siphoned out. Car now suffers same symptoms and is now slipping during shifting.

I have called the auto store and ordered another torque converter and inquired about a rebuild kit. They have a pro king kit for 315.00 usd but he couldn't tell me what it included. I am having trouble codes pulled in a bit and will post again when I know more.

Would the pro king rebuild kit get my transmission up and running again or do I need to buy something else entirely?

When I diassemble the car this time I plan to preform a how to guide similar to the "how I fixed my ax4n tranny" write up. Figure it's the least I could do to hopefully help the next guy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The only code I was able to pull from the car was P0102 MAF or VAF a circuit low input. Nothing to do with the tranny from what I can find.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the issue with slipping seems to be only when the transmission shifts from 1st to 2nd. all the other gears shift just fine. after driving approximately 10 miles is when the jerking forward motions during stops occur. could this be a bad tcc solenoid or 1-2 solenoid and/or a valve?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alright so i have the valve body off and disassembled. all valves seem fine however a check ball was in the wrong spot.

could the check ball being in the wrong spot cause it to slip in first to second and or do the lunging at stops while in drive?

pump shaft, pump, and torque converter spline all seem to check out okay as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes the check ball could be your problem. At this point if you had access to a pressure test plate you could test the condition of the transmission.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bump please

possible minor adjustment of the safety neutral switch? if so any good tips on how to get it properly adjusted? i used the 3 lb weight on the column shifter while in (od) method.

possible solenoid issue? if so anyone know where i can find information on using a multi-meter to get some reading on them from the digital transmission range sensor connector? I have the pinout and can post it, just need information on the solenoids and which pins to test on.

possible vss or other electrical connector?

please help as i need to get this fixed so i can stop playing taxi cab. lol!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts