Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just got the 2007 Ford Taurus SE (Vulcan V6) back from our daughter who decided not to drive after all. Car is very rusty, but everything works, no warning lights, drips, smoking, sweating etc. and drives/shifts great (approximately 200,000 miles on it).

I want the transmission fluid changed but do not want to spend $250 for the full service at the dealer.

I was told you can change the fluid by sucking out part of it through the filler tube, then refill, drive and do it maybe 3 times over a 1 week period to get most of it replaced.

What pump can you recommend? I bought one before many years ago, but the hose that came with it was too firm to smoothly go down where I wanted it to get down, so it got stuck and never reached the bottom of the tank.

Of course I will use the recommended Mercon V ATF fluid / XT-5-QM/MERCON V.

Thank you.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Hello,

Just got the 2007 Ford Taurus SE (Vulcan V6) back from our daughter who decided not to drive after all. Car is very rusty, but everything works, no warning lights, drips, smoking, sweating etc. and drives/shifts great (approximately 200,000 miles on it).

I want the transmission fluid changed but do not want to spend $250 for the full service at the dealer.

I was told you can change the fluid by sucking out part of it through the filler tube, then refill, drive and do it maybe 3 times over a 1 week period to get most of it replaced.

What pump can you recommend? I bought one before many years ago, but the hose that came with it was too firm to smoothly go down where I wanted it to get down, so it got stuck and never reached the bottom of the tank.

Of course I will use the recommended Mercon V ATF fluid / XT-5-QM/MERCON V.

Thank you.
I use my home made vac bottle. I use my "Mighty Vac". I can change the fluid in 20 min. I plan for 30. I have/had 10 Bulls and always used this, along with 5 Lin Cont and 3 LTD's.
No tran issues. I put the old fluid in 5Q jugs and put back what I take out. Remove the air box plenum for room, remove the vent cap for easy fill, then carefully replace the vent cap so it is "wobbly lose".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,412 Posts
I recently purchased a different transmission pan with a drain plug from rockauto, works great, easier than messing with the filler tube, in my opinion, bad or used fluid should go out of the bottom and only new through the filler tube. Why chance getting any metal up through the filler tube.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I purchased a 07 around the same miles as you and I would recommend a pan drop + new filter. With that many miles on it, and no history to go with it, it might never have been changed. When I dropped the pan on mine the fluid was pretty black and the magnet inside the pan had a decent amount of crap stuck to it. The filter defiantly needed to be changed also. It's very easy to do yourself, maybe a little messy.
Tableware Drinkware Liquid Stemware Barware

1 - 7 of 7 Posts