Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have some minor vacuum leaks around some of the hard plastic lines going into the vacuum manifold and other places.

I understand that O2 sensors can be ruined by contact with silicone from lube sprays but what risk is there in using RTV to seal the connections if I let the stuff cure for 24 hrs before starting the engine?

·
Super Moderator
8,587 Posts
"Classic" RTV, that smells like vinigar as it cures WILL KILL O2 sensors in short order!!!! This is a well known problem that showed up in the early 80s with the advent of feedback fuel control. Use RTV labeled "Sensor Safe" on the tube and packaging. This stuff kind of smells like drying house paint as it cures.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Why do you think you have leaks? Did you spray carb cleaner near the spots and the idle change?

Are you able to replace the hoses or clamp them down? Most fixes can be doen without RTV.

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
I get that vinegar smell cure with household pure silicone caulk, but never with automotive rtv. Also, once completely cured, i would think any dangers would have passed.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. My problem is where the vacuum line to the reservoir and plenum control motors is somewhat loose in the vacuum manifold on the driver side firewall under the cowl. I am thinking of slapping on some silicone to seal that up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts