Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 2000 DOHC w/AX4N, 141,400 miles...factory trans/TC w/aftermarket cooler. This issue happens with or w/o the tune loaded, after I let the car relearn itself)

In the past month, I have noticed that just with general cruising...from a stop that there seems to be a bit of a delay after 4th gear engages but before the torque converter locks up. It used to go into 4th, then after a second or two the TC will lock up. Now, it's taking ~3-5 seconds, and it goes into it very "casually". However if I'm giving it a good amount of throttle, it behaves a bit better.

I have also noticed that if I'm cruising in 4th around 45 or greater, then give it enough throttle so it goes down 1 gear...it'll downshift (RPM increase), then the RPMs decrease like something is locking, then the RPMs increase (like something is unlocking).

I can goose it going up a hill...don't feel any slippage and holds gears just fine. I would also go to say that it shifts better and locks the TC up sooner like it used to.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
When is the last time you had the fluid changed?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
23k miles, living in the south, with an aging trans. Could be due for another change. The last time mine acted up, I only had 20k on the fluid. 'Course, I found out that it wasn't actually mercon V, so that was probably a big contributor. Regardless, I change mine every 15k now.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 23 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806338
23k miles, living in the south, with an aging trans. Could be due for another change. The last time mine acted up, I only had 20k on the fluid. 'Course, I found out that it wasn't actually mercon V, so that was probably a big contributor. Regardless, I change mine every 15k now.[/b]
Shoot that had escaped my mind. Wow, it probably is about due. When I get back from my trip, it sounds like I'll need to budget out for a TCCA fluid exchange.

Watching the trans temp gauge, I have yet to see the car top over 200F.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Be careful in avoiding sitting in slow traffic, it raised my Trans temp to 240 degrees per Trans temp gauge reading within 25 minutes. The fluid(none-synthetic) smalled a bit funny afterwards. and it was only 9000 miles old, I guess I am due for another change as well.

QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 23 2010, 07:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806358
QUOTE (FFVulcanPowah @ May 23 2010, 05:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806338
23k miles, living in the south, with an aging trans. Could be due for another change. The last time mine acted up, I only had 20k on the fluid. 'Course, I found out that it wasn't actually mercon V, so that was probably a big contributor. Regardless, I change mine every 15k now.[/b]
Shoot that had escaped my mind. Wow, it probably is about due. When I get back from my trip, it sounds like I'll need to budget out for a TCCA fluid exchange.

Watching the trans temp gauge, I have yet to see the car top over 200F.
[/b][/quote]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts