Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed within the last few months that my steering wheel and pedals begin to shudder a bit after 80mph. I am currently aware that my front driver's side wheel bearing and inner tie rod are shot. Is this a symptom of those or something different? any ideas guys?

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Keep it under 80?? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Check for any bulges, belt frays etc... on the outer AND inner walls on the tires. Could be a tire warning you that you're about to have a blow out anytime.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
both front two tires are brand new and they've all been rotated. no belt frays of any kind or any damage to the tires themselves. i'm going to attempt to replace the inner tie rod today. one question. The rack can't move as long as I have one front tire on the ground right?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I also have a problem with a shuttering... vibration.... BUT only after I have driven at high speed for awhile (80mph+)

I have recently replaced the front brakes thinking it would solve the problem. Got Premium Disc's at Napa and Premium Pads also at Napa.. the previous disc were very slightly warped but they had purple, black, yellow-ish color in the disc... more on one side then the other. I know I have a lead foot, but im not one to be slamming on my breaks. Ford Tech and my cousin who is a mechanic tell me they are just overheating... is that possible?

I have been looking for CrossDrilled/slotted discs and cant find a good source that I can buy cause I cant trust them... anyone know were I can find me a pair?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
QUOTE (JOEGAR84 @ Jul 17 2009, 02:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=740188
I also have a problem with a shuttering... vibration.... BUT only after I have driven at high speed for awhile (80mph+)

I have recently replaced the front brakes thinking it would solve the problem. Got Premium Disc's at Napa and Premium Pads also at Napa.. the previous disc were very slightly warped but they had purple, black, yellow-ish color in the disc... more on one side then the other. I know I have a lead foot, but im not one to be slamming on my breaks. Ford Tech and my cousin who is a mechanic tell me they are just overheating... is that possible?

I have been looking for CrossDrilled/slotted discs and cant find a good source that I can buy cause I cant trust them... anyone know were I can find me a pair?[/b]
replaced my driverside front inner tie rod today..solved my shuttering problem. the only other shuttering i feel now, is when i'm quickly decelerating from a high speed.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
another thing. I rented AZ's inner tie rod removal tool today for my car. the piece of crap is too big for the nut on the end of the tie rod. I had to rig up some metal to fill the void to make a flush contact to the nut. worked though.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I had this problem. then when i would hit 90 it would seam to go away? Then i had all 4 of my tires replaced and it took the problem completely away. So if this does not fix it for you, Ide assume it might be your tie rod or wheel bearing could be the culpret

·
Registered
50 Posts
dude I've been working on my inner and outer tie rod today and couldn't figure out how to remove the inner tie rod and its also enclosed in this big hose that ressembles that hose on the back of a washer. how do I remove that? and if az.s tie rod removal is too big then what should I do. I need to fix this asap

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a 2004 SEL and I have an 80+ minor vibe in the steering. I am an avid auto enthusiast and I own my own wheel balancer and tire mounting machines at my home hobby shop. My balancer was recently calibrated by a calibration service and I self calibrate it frequently. I just put Yokohama YK520's on the car, and when I did this I dial indicated all 4 wheels when I had the tires off to verify the wheels are all true. The wheels are the most perfect I have ever seen, most had less than 0.005" radial runout at each bead seat. I match mounted the tires to obtain minimal radial and lateral runout and I balance in "fine" mode, to obtain less than 0.10 oz error. I tried another set of new tires before going to the Yokohama's (discount tire let me "test drive" a set of new Traction TA's that I didn't like so I returned and swapped them out for the YK 520's) so it's definitely not a tire or wheel issue.

Why the car has a steering shimmy above 80 on mine, I don't know but since I don't have any other wheel bearing or suspension issues that stand out, it seems like it's gonna be another one of those annoyances that I'll probably never figure out. It's not a big deal but ideally it would run true given the amount of care I used with the wheels and tires, it wouldn't shake.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts