Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone take their Taurus to car shows? I've been to a few shows here in Western Ky and have never seen a Taurus in a show. I see them running around all the time. Specially Gen 2's and 3's. I think I'm going to change that. My Gen 2 Taurus is in great shape, just needs a few minor detail parts and it would be like a new car. Add some aftermarket stuff to it and got something that I would be proud to show off. I'm not sure what I'll do to mine to make it stand out, what has other people done to their's?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm dont know why no one shows a regular taurus. i guess ill have to be differant and show mine. on a side note i noticed that the paint on my roof is starting to fade. rest the car looks great cept for some small chips and scratches. not sure why the roof is fadding, i keep this thing washed all the time. and have waxed it a once or twice

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
AHHHHHHHHHh, a post that hits home with me....:lol2: I have been showing my '03 wagon now for 2 years. Be warned, you will be looked down on becasue you have a taurus and not a "classic", a hot rod, a muscle car or a custom car. I have even been to a couple shows where tuner cars are actually considered better. I have been to shows where a brand new (30 day temp plates on the car) 2010 camaro with nothing done beat out my wagon, just becasue its a "muscle car" and all I have is a taurus.

Ok, now that my little rant is done. You will need to work your butt off to show a taurus. The car has got to look better than a garage queen to even get most people to look close at your car. I have done many mods to my wagon, and you know there is nothing available on the open market, everything is "custom" and one off, but the average car show person doesnt see that. For that reason, you need to make it better than possible. At a recent judged show, the club "hired" outside judges to be fair and honest in the judging. I must admidt, I felt it was fair when they scored my daily driver at 86 out of 100 points. If you know car show judging, that is a major milestone for a daily driver. Most garage queen hot rods didnt score that good, I placed in the top 40 of almost 125 cars, and honestly none of them were bad.

If your car is a daily driver, you will work your butt off and you better enjoy working on your car and keeping it clean. When I get to a show, I spend between 1 and 2 HOURS just getting the car clean and ready to show. I also wash & wax / detail the car at least 2 times a week. Just yesterday (09-26-10) I drove 195 miles to an ALL FORD show, I levt home at 5:30 am, got to the show at 9am and then cleaned the car for 2 hours before I could even think of relaxing. My efforts paid off yesterday with my first 1st place trophy in class, so that made the day for me. If your not commited to this, it will burn you out really quick. I am and always have been a car freak, so I enjoy it. I do things to my car that most people would never do, just so its ready for the next show.

I have been showing the wagon now for 2 seasons, 2009 and 2010 and it is finally getting recognition, though I am always the only taurus at any event that I go to. Anyways, I am getting long winded here. Please feel free to PM me anytime with question and I will be glad to help you and offer support, becasue you will need it.

Here is one of the newest looks of the wagon.

Here is a list of the award I have won with the wagon also. It hasnt been easy, but the last 7 weeks have been my best with 2 national show trophies and then 2 All Ford Show trophies as well.

December 2006 TCCA Car of The Month.
2009 N. Ridgeville Ohio Corn Festival, 2nd place in class Trophy (2000 & newer).
2009 Tradesman Tavern (Parma Ohio) show, 2nd place overall Trophy.
Aug. 29th 2010 Columbus Motorsports Mahem Show, Top 10 in class Trophy (1984 & newer).
August 2010 TSOC Car of The Month,.
Sept. 4th 2010 NMRA Ford Expo, National Trails Dragway, Directors Choice - Outstanding Achievment award.
Sept. 5th 2010 NMRA Ford Expo National Main Event Show, Columbus Ohio, Outstanding Achievment award.
Sept. 12th 2010 United Ford Owners All Ohio Ford Show, Columbus Ohio, Top 40 trophy, score 86 / 100.
Sept. 26th 2010 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio, Longest Distance Trophy.
Sept. 26th 2010 Southern Ohio All Ford Show, Waverly Ohio, 1st Place in Class Trophy (2000 & newer).

Oh yea, and this makes it all worth wild to, my picture with the trophy and the plaque I won.......LOL

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dlc360, your wagon is sick. im impressed with the work ya have done to it. i know that making my taurus look that good will take a lot of time, effert and money. it will be hard since as you said there is no after market support for these cars. there are maybe a few parts out there, but for those of us who have a gen 1 or 2 (i have a gen 2 myself) theres little help. i have a few ideas rolling around in my head, but till my hours at work improve my car will remain stock. ive only replaced the head unit and front speakers, its a start but far from getting noticed. my biggest problem right now is finding a rear bumper for this car, found a few tauruses in the jy but all had cracked rear bumpers. noticed the other day ive got some tar like stuff in the carpet on the drivers side. not sure if theres something that will take it out or if i need to get new carpeting. this car is driven 70+ miles a day, 4 days a week. and it still looks fairly clean under that hood. and underneath. i went to a show this past saturday 9-25-2010, the show was put on to support the troops. even some of the show cars didnt have an engine as clean as mine. well that enough out of me, i may make a list of possible mods for my taurus to get feed back.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1993 Ford Taurus GL Mods
Engine:
paint a peices such as valve covers and intake manifold.
install a better C.A.I
add steal braided hose covers on all hoses and colored wire looms
Body:
fix all dents and paint chips
maybe do a full color change since i cant find a touch up paint in stores around here for my color.
maybe shaving the emblems on the truck.
adding leds under the headlights
Interior:
clean up interior
new headliner
bucket seats and center console
Audio/Video:
ok well still unsure about that, what i have in there now wont be staying.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
wouldnt i need to change the headlights to make the sho front bumper look right?
The same Gen as your car you shouldnt need to change the lights and it should just bolt right on.

PLEASE, dont let what I said discourage you, by all means, go show your car, be proud of it. I just wanted you to know that its not easy and its alot of work since we are considered having a "common" car. If you look into my garage here, you will see most of what I have done to the wagon is very low cost and done by myself. That is a big part of showing your car, the more you do yourself, the more pride you have in your ride and it will show. This past week, the judges climbed UNDER the cars in contention for the trophies. What they dont realize that twice a year I scrape, sand and undercoat the complete underside of my car and it was just done 4 weeks ago. Its things like that that others dont normally see, but took all afternoon on a sunday to complete.

Any time you want to talk about shows and what to try or expect, feel free to PM me. Now, for your mods.......DONT change your air intake, you have a fine cold air intake now. A cone filter under the hood is a hot air intake and will hurt the proformance of your ride. When you want to paint the plastic under the hood, have a complete set of extra plastic. Paint that first, finish it how you want it THEN put it all under the hood. That way your car isnt down while your working on the parts. Everything I changed on the wagon, I have stock parts in the garage attic in case I ever need to change it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I go to cruise-ins every once in a while but nothing major

·
Registered
224 Posts
The same Gen as your car you shouldnt need to change the lights and it should just bolt right on.

PLEASE, dont let what I said discourage you, by all means, go show your car, be proud of it. I just wanted you to know that its not easy and its alot of work since we are considered having a "common" car. If you look into my garage here, you will see most of what I have done to the wagon is very low cost and done by myself. That is a big part of showing your car, the more you do yourself, the more pride you have in your ride and it will show. This past week, the judges climbed UNDER the cars in contention for the trophies. What they dont realize that twice a year I scrape, sand and undercoat the complete underside of my car and it was just done 4 weeks ago. Its things like that that others dont normally see, but took all afternoon on a sunday to complete.

Any time you want to talk about shows and what to try or expect, feel free to PM me. Now, for your mods.......DONT change your air intake, you have a fine cold air intake now. A cone filter under the hood is a hot air intake and will hurt the proformance of your ride. When you want to paint the plastic under the hood, have a complete set of extra plastic. Paint that first, finish it how you want it THEN put it all under the hood. That way your car isnt down while your working on the parts. Everything I changed on the wagon, I have stock parts in the garage attic in case I ever need to change it.

u would need to switch to sable head lights...im pretty sure

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I welcome the challenge of turning a "common" car to something better. the intake on my car has been improved, i took the stock piece that goes between the filter box and fender and replaced it with a flexable pipe that runs through the hole in the fender and comes out in front of the drivers side front wheel. i want to replace all that with something that looks a little better. i had that same thought, go out and buy replacement parts to paint so my car isnt down while the parts are painted. best part of the current intake set up im able to get 28.5 mpgs even driving 55-80 depending on what roads im on. im still tryin to think of ideas to set my taurus apart from others on the road. i see about 6-7 tauruses everyday. from gen1 to the current gen. if i have any questions bout shows or whatever ill contact ya, i wont be showing my car till next year...the show season around here is almost over for the year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Well I'm batting around paint ideas, do I want to try and fix the stock paint which is chipping on the hood and fadding on the part of the hood and roof plus all the misc. scratches. Or do I do a repaint? The stock color is a seamfoam green metallic, but if i got with a repaint I would do an emerald green paint job cause of the tan interior. There are like one or two dents that would need to be fixed either way, but other than that the car has a pretty straight body. Also does anyone know how to replace the head liner? Mine is torn to hell. Rest the interior is clean and no tears, the carpet needs a good cleaning.

the head liner
http://i604.photobucket.com/albums/tt126/hershy314/004-4.jpg

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well i think its time to start the transfermation of my 93 taurus. it will still be a daily driver, but i want it to look differant. i see alot of g2 taurus running around here, even one that looks just like mine. i was thinking of going with a two-tone paint job. going with a dark charcoal on top and black bottom. ill be keeping the interior the stock tan color. i really dont know what to do with the interior. ill be sure and keep updates on this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well my plans for transforming my bull into something a bit nicer on hold. i have decided to move closer to my work and wont be able to do as much work to my car as i would like. im sure i could work on my car in the parking lot of the apartment, but i wont have access to all the tools like i do now. i may return to where i am every once in a while and work on on the car. my grandparents live here thats why i would be able to come back anytime. main reason for the move is that i have a 35 mile comute one way, if ya add it up thats 70 miles a day (usually more), 350 miles a week, 1400 miles a month...well ya get it. that adds up to a crap load of money spent on gas, im in hopes that moving closer to work will save me money, even tho where im at now is rent free. well i guess thats it for now. if i have any updates ill post it.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
You dont have to do everything at once. With my wagon its still a daily driver and I work on it a little at a time when I have the money. Look for things you can do over time and it will all come togeather. I have been working on the wagon now for almost 3 years to get it to the point its at now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts