Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '99 Sable (Ford Taurus) I am having a heck of a time screwing in the axle nuts. Lots and lots of torque. Should the spline bottom out into the hub? or will there be visible spline on the back of the hub? I think I may need to get new cv axles because my threads are crappy. Any recommendations for a place to get them? Is napa, advance or autozone any good or should I go with rockauto or something like that?

Any good brands?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
i never had any problems with any of the ones i used to get from napa. I had one go bad from autozone. ( the dirt cheap one )
as far as spline sticking out the back I do not remember seeing them. iirc it fits all the way up to the hub.

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I've replaced CV axles on my '89 Mitsubishi, but it's been a while. My recollection is the hub goes right up against the CV joint enclosure. Not hard to do, and probably hard to screw up, but you want to make sure that splined end slips into the hub just right. Also, do you have any angle on the hub knuckle such that as you are tightening the nut maybe the splined end is not perfectly straight? I think I may have had the hub knuckle completely detached, or if it was still attached I might've had a jack underneath to keep the whole assembly somewhat straight.

There's also a torque setting for that nut, so you have to achieve whatever that number is (which will probably pull the CV tight to the back of the knuckle). Probably need a metal pipe slipped over your torque wrench handle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For some reason I can't get either side to go all the way in with the stock axles. I guess I'll give it another try tomrrow and might by some new CVs

Thanks

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a little lube goes a long way, also turn it a couple of notches and reinsert, wiggle the shaft and see if it pops in.
wow this sounds dirty

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only worry is I torqued down the nuts like it is.....Do you think I messed up the splines or the hub splines?

Thanks

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
I doubt you ruined the splines or the hub. There are a lot of fins on those things but the metal is fairly substantial. Back it out and clean both surfaces. Maybe the surfaces were both dirty and dry.

I don't remember having any trouble torqing down the axle nut. Went very easy until the very end when I had to sleeve the pipe over the handle of the torque wrench.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys

Ended up getting new axles. The threads weren't too hot on the old ones. It should bottom out and the splines weren't messed up.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts