Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have been having some weird noises near the serpentine belt area so today I took the belt off and inspected the pulleys. I have recently replaced the Belt Tensioner/Idler Pulley, AC Clutch Pulley and the belt itself, so I know those can't be the culprits. I did notice today however that my Power steering pulley was able to a little side-to-side play and that sometimes it didn't like to spin at all. I also noticed that sometimes when it was spinning it made a click noise every now and then. Is this normal or should I replace it?

Also, should I replace the pump and pulley, or just pump?

This is for a 97 Duratec with 160k miles.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,616 Posts
^^^^^ +1 A little axial play seems to be pretty normal, but it shouldnt have any side to side play. Can you tell if the side play is in the pulley itself or in the pump shaft?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By side-by-side play I meant that if you are standing at the passenger wheel and grab the pulley you would be able to push the pulley in and pull it out just a little.

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
A little back and forth play(slop) is pretty normal with these pulleys(pumps). As far as the click, i dont know. Maybe youre hearing the pump activating?

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
I have worked on about 4 or 5 taurus steering pumps (have 3 at my house right now), they all move from side to side. Did you try running your engine without a serpentine belt on? Obvious question, but just want to make sure that's actually the issue.

Edit:

I went back to your previous post, do you know what steering pump noise sounds like? You could try searching for a youtube video or something to help. If it just groans I would probably leave it, these pumps are the loudest you'll find, plus the new one might make the same or more noise than the previous one. I don't understand what kind of noise you are hearing, from your previous post, you indicated "The noise is coming from the passenger side of the engine bay and usually only happens when I accelerate. The noise sounds like little ball bearings being shaken in a can and there is also a steady drone at the same time.", I'd say noisey steering pump, from that description, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, that's the description. I should also mention that I didn't notice the noise until after I got new motor/tranny mounts installed, but it definitely is coming from where the belt/pulley is.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts