Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just browsing craigslist i came across a second gen taurus sho for just $1000. all i know about the car right now is that the owner only wants 1000 for it, its red, a second gen (unknown the exact year) it has new tires and altenator. i did email the owner for more info. if all goes well ill be swaping the gl for a sho. ive always wanted a sho so im glad i found it. only down side so far about this car is the color....not a big fan of red but for the right price ill go for it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Arrest me red.....paint that sucker. :p

For the price, I think it'd be worth taking a look at. Make note of any suspension problems. Make sure all of the dash lights come on, especially the check engine light as that one is most commonly pulled on older cars. Make sure it runs smoothly. look for oil leaks and so on.
Pretty basic stuff to look for when buying a used car. You can also use those as bargaining chips and knock the price down some. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i normally do all that when buying a used car, my current taurus a 93 gl i got for 800. the guy wanted 900 but after seeing the headliner was destroyed and the a/c compressor was bad, i offered 800. i must say im impressed with the taurus over all. now i know why my grandpa's friend since childhood has owned a taurus since 88 or something. they are good cars, they ride good, get good gas mileage. my main concern with the sho is the mileage, when i got my car it had 104,000 miles on it. which where i live is considered low miles.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You'll also want to check out and see if it's had the SHO related maintenance, such as the 60K service, etc.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
The weakest thing on all these cars is the transmission, although the SHO has the strongest version of this crappy unit, unless it's one of the older years with the manual trans. The SHO's with this engine seem to last a long time, as long as they didn't have a hard life, and were well taken care of, but like any other older car, it's going to have a few issues.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Also is it MTX or ATX?

104k is nothing on a SHO.

The maintenance isn't terribly hard and there is a large support network on the SHOFOrum for help.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
still waitin to hear from the owner so i dont know what trans it has. the 104 i was refering to was my current car, it had that many when i bought it in july '10, it now has a little over 112k on it. honestly i hope it is a atx, i can drive a stick but id be more comfortable with an auto driving in city traffic, such as i will be when i move back to cali

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i sent a second email to the owner earlier since there was no number, i had a couple other questions to ask. im hoping that im at least get a responce, kinda rude to not reply to someone. specially when express much interest. besides that, its the only sho for sale around here.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
still waitin to hear from the owner so i dont know what trans it has. the 104 i was refering to was my current car, it had that many when i bought it in july '10, it now has a little over 112k on it. honestly i hope it is a atx, i can drive a stick but id be more comfortable with an auto driving in city traffic, such as i will be when i move back to cali
The ATX is the weak link and unless a rebuild has been done plan on doing one. The 94 is a better year but still it is a Ford ATX. The MTX is much stronger and a lot more fun. The MTX is faster and has more mods as well.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The ATX is the weak link and unless a rebuild has been done plan on doing one. The 94 is a better year but still it is a Ford ATX. The MTX is much stronger and a lot more fun. The MTX is faster and has more mods as well.
X2. 1993 was the first and worst year for auto SHO's. even thought the automatic have 15 more ft of tq (due to being .2L bigger) they still aren't as quick as a Manual.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i will agree a manual is way more fun and quicker than an auto. but in city stop and go driving an auto is better and thats what i would be using the car for, not racing or anything like that. not that it matters cause even after 2 emails and leaving the owner my number to get back to me i still have not heard anything back, so i am just going to move on and maybe ill get lucky and find another sho, till then ill keep driving my slo lol.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts