Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 95 GL with only 18k miles on the clock. It's like a time machine. Working factory cassette deck even. Autocheck verified mileage through annual emissions checks. Anyway, I needed to replace an egr valve sensor and the belt tensioner/pulley (went ahead and replaced the belt). Other than that everything seems fine. It does have a rather harsh ride on *some* road surfaces. Dash shakes a bit - coffee in the cupholder will spill. Feels like the 1st stage in the struts really aren't performing. Otherwise it's not really a bad handler. Doesn't sag or dive or roll. Should I consider replacing all four just based on the age? Or is this normal for the model. I'm aware of the discount with rockauto and the preference for the Monroe quick-struts. I don't want to spend the money unless it's going to really smooth out the ride.

TIA,

Chuck near Houston

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Generally, you replace them every 50,000 miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's kind of an unusual scenario to find a car so old with such low miles. The most I could say is that when I got my 91 with 62k miles it needed all four struts.

·
Registered
72 Posts
QUOTE (scarlano @ Jul 14 2009, 03:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739384
QUOTE (fdogg96 @ Jul 14 2009, 01:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739382
Generally, you replace them every 50,000 miles.[/b]
I understand that. Just wondering if they age ungacefully. 15 years old and all that.

Chuck
[/b][/quote]

Sometimes the rubber can dry out and the seals can leak... I have a nice set that came off a California car.. motorcraft's even... Not sure if the SHO struts are any more firm, but they could be..

http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=71551

·
Registered
39 Posts
That is really low miles. Just over 1,000 miles/year, assuming the car was driven and not parked. Even though it has low miles, I'd say that the suspension has still gone through 15 years of stress, even if the car is only parked. Unless the car was in storage, up on BLOCKS, then the suspension has been under stress all these years. It's possible that it needs replacing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (bspielburg @ Jul 15 2009, 10:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739617
That's kind of an unusual scenario to find a car so old with such low miles. The most I could say is that when I got my 91 with 62k miles it needed all four struts.[/b]
Unusual. I agree. And not on blocks either: Here's the relevant excert from AutoCheck:

Report Run Date: 2009-07-12 15:26:17.595 EDT
Vehicle: 1995 Ford Taurus GL / SE

Event Date Event Location Odometer Reading Data Source Event Detail
10/19/1994 TX Independent Source VEHICLE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED TO DEALER
07/29/1995 HUMBLE, TX 7 Motor Vehicle Dept. TITLE (Title #

03/28/1997 HOUSTON, TX 2,806 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/24/1998 HOUSTON, TX 4,890 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/30/1999 HOUSTON, TX 6,796 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/28/2000 HOUSTON, TX 8,498 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/26/2001 HOUSTON, TX 10,428 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/26/2002 HOUSTON, TX 11,505 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/19/2003 HOUSTON, TX 12,613 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/22/2004 HOUSTON, TX 13,421 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/22/2005 HOUSTON, TX 14,161 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/24/2006 HOUSTON, TX 14,900 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION

03/14/2007 HOUSTON, TX 15,396 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION/PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION

03/19/2008 HUMBLE, TX 16,023 State Agency PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION/PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION

04/15/2009 SPRING, TX 17,116 Independent Emission Source PASSED EMISSION INSPECTION
PASSED SAFETY INSPECTION

Note the annual inspections every March. Starts out at 2k/year, then 1k/year and finally 500/year. I've put 1500 on it since I picked it up at the beginning of June with 17,600 on the clock.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
FYI the dash mounted cup holder will always spill/ shake and cover the radio in a sticky mess.
I used the door panel cup holder when i had my gen2.

Is the whole car shaking or just the dash? Does it still have the original tires? They might have dry rotted or are out of round from sitting so much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (crackhead @ Jul 16 2009, 05:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739861
FYI the dash mounted cup holder will always spill/ shake and cover the radio in a sticky mess.
I used the door panel cup holder when i had my gen2.

Is the whole car shaking or just the dash? Does it still have the original tires? They might have dry rotted or are out of round from sitting so much.[/b]
It's mostly the dash, and only real noticeable on certain (generally concrete) road surfaces although I think the ride is generally harsher than it should be. The passenger side front door squeaks at the B pillar as well. The car has a few rattles but it's not horrible and it seems to handle ok. The tires are date-stamped mid '06 so I'm good there. Alignment seems good, it holds a straight line.

I'm a little torn here - I bought the car with the intention of using it as a cheap work car for now (my other vehicle is an 08 F150 SuperCrew) and it's going to end up with my younger son when he gets his license early next year. On the other hand, it's in such good condition, I'm tempted to go ahead and do it. I was looking for a beater and ended up with a bit of a creampuff. I may have to find another car for the boy ;-).

I think I'll call around for some estimates on the labor. I was really just looking for opinions on whether the OE struts are likely to be affected by age, even with the low miles. My gut says they probably are and that new ones would probably make a big difference and smooth things out quite a bit.

I appreciate your interest and opinions.

Chuck near Houston

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
how is the body roll? is it nice on control or real floppy?
Ford didn't car what parts were thrown on the Taurus. You might have the SHO suspension, so it would have firmer sway bars, stiffer springs and struts and a couple extra fiddly bits

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crackhead asked - how is the body roll? is it nice on control or real floppy?
Ford didn't car what parts were thrown on the Taurus. You might have the SHO suspension, so it would have firmer sway bars, stiffer springs and struts and a couple extra fiddly bits

I haven't pushed it real hard but I haven't noticed any roll. It stays pretty flat on the corners. I'll give it a little workout on my way home this afternoon and see if I can get it to move a bit.

Chuck

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
you can check the way bar size, if the front is 24mm and rear is 26mm then you have the stiffest oem sway bars.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
QUOTE (crackhead @ Jul 16 2009, 02:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=739861
I used the door panel cup holder when i had my gen2.[/b]
What door panel cup holder? I never recalled my Sable having door cup holders. It just had a map pocket.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
They sell them at the auto parts stores. They look like cup holders with a hook attached.
Don't leave your cup in the door and close it though. They will dump the cup onto the floor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts