Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...when we were under the car the 92 SHO, my dad noticed that my right CV joint boot was starting to deteriorate. We look at the left side, and it looks like its all been replaced on that side. The thing is, is that my dad tells me I should replace the whole axle shaft along with the boot and such. At the moment it is not making any noises, so I don't think its been leaking very long. However, I was wondering, is it worth it to replace the whole shaft, or should I replace the CV Joint boot. The reason I ask, is that i notice all of the prices are the same, so I know its all the same shaft. But the left side on Ford Parts.com is 180 something, and the right is like 480 something..... So I'm just curious as to A)why is the right side so much more expensive than the left, and B), should I replace the CV Joint boot, or should i replace the whole shaft. Sorry for the long post, I just want to know...cuz I might get rid of it if its gonna cost me that much to fix it....

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
Originally posted by mrclean@Jul 4 2004, 11:06 PM
Well...when we were under the car the 92 SHO, my dad noticed that my right CV joint boot was starting to deteriorate. We look at the left side, and it looks like its all been replaced on that side.  The thing is, is that my dad tells me I should replace the whole axle shaft along with the boot and such.
I agree with your dad.

At AutoZone, the drivers side reman axle assembly is $99.99, the passenger side is $79.99 (plus about a $65 core charge for each). The cost of the joint/boot service kit is not much less!

It's as much work to pull it out to just repack & put on a boot as it is the put in a reman axle. If the joint is wearing and/or you don't pack it right, you are doing it again before much longer. Plus, the reman has a warranty on it.

And while you're at it, it's easy to put a new axle seal in the tranny with the axle pulled.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...I don't have any autozone or advance auto local, but maybe I'll try a napa around here, I remember my brother had both CV joints go in his van so he needed to basically replace the whole axle, so he got a remaned one from the napa for pretty cheap. I'll go and check out that place.

·
Premium Member
405 Posts
NAPA would be fine, but you can also order over the Internet through Advance Auto (I bought my reman SHO alternator this way).

A quick check of the Advance site shows reman axles for $66.99

·
Registered
712 Posts
Being a '92, I'd replace the shaft.

If it were relatively new (and maybe cut by something), I'd just throw some more grease in there and put one of those "split boots" on. You just cut the old boot off. Slip the new one on. They use glue, and about 10 little nuts and bolts to seal the seam. Add two clamps and your done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm..I didn't think of ordering from Advance Auto's website...not a bad plan.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts