Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OKay, I'm getting ready to do some maint. on my 98 Sable GS. I plan on doing the following:

plugs
wires
PCV(maybe)
EGR(maybe)
fuel filter
air filter
belt
any hoses that need it
fluid flushes

The reason for this is simple. Car is going on 60k miles and when I bought it used, I'm not sure what's been done to it, other than what I've had done in the last 30k.

Now comes the question - Do I need to or should I check the timing?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Originally posted by Smola97GL@Feb 13 2004, 11:00 AM
It should be fine. From what I have heard your engine should adjust itself.
Yeah, the timing is not adjustable anyway, and I would recommend changing the PCV valve (since you said maybe.) Mine got a vacuum leak and gave me a really bad lean condition; that was not fun. On that note, be sure to go around and check for vacuum leaks.

For the EGR, if the light isn't on, then I wouldn't worry about it. Most of the time, the sensor that actually has problems is the DPFE sensor, and on the Duratec, it's really a biatch to get too. (No idea on the vulcan.) Besides, the EGR system is too expensive to warrent preventative maintainance; if you are worried, though, I believe it's easy enough to take off the Valve and clean it out with some Carb cleaner. I don't know how effective that would be, but it would help it clean it out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as the EGR goes, about 6 months ago, the check engine light came on. At the time I was extremely busy at work and didn't get a chance to check it out. About 3 days after it came on, it went out. I figured it was okay. Then about 1 month later, it came on again and after a day went out. Hasn't come on since. Not sure what that means or if it has anything to do with one another, but just thought I'd add to my own post.

Thanks for the timing issue though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts