Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, do you think I should bother paying $20 for a locking wheel nut set?
Is it worth it, or is it more problems than benefits (like if I don't touch the wheels for a while, I would have issues removing those nuts, since they get baked on)?

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by apolinaras@Apr 19 2004, 03:03 PM
Hey guys, do you think I should bother paying $20 for a locking wheel nut set?
Is it worth it, or is it more problems than benefits (like if I don't touch the wheels for a while, I would have issues removing those nuts, since they get baked on)?
Not unless you have real nice rims, you shouldnt have a problem. Also, they dont tend to get "baked" on, just make sure they are torqued correctly upon installation.

-DC

·
Registered
375 Posts
if you care about youre wheels you might as well,
if the guy tries to steel them and they sees that they have a locking nut hopefully he will just give up and you will still have youre wheels. and its probably only a few bucks more compared to a new set of wheels. dont you think

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by jorsh@Apr 19 2004, 09:05 PM
if you care about youre wheels you might as well,
if the guy tries to steel them and they sees that they have a locking nut hopefully he will just give up and you will still have youre wheels. and its probably only a few bucks more compared to a new set of wheels. dont you think
Not really, im pretty sure the market for stock taurus rims is alot slower than the market for rims off pimped/riced out imports and such.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Just make sure you have a second key or the code to order a second key. I used to have locking wheels nuts, and the garages always set the key down on the rack, tool box, or wherever and it would get lost. I had to on several occasions go back to the garage several days later, after they found the key.
Also, I don't know what the ford ones look like, but the GM ones that I had on my Grand Am rounded off after a year. It costs, iirc, about $35 to have a garage cut the lock off. They have a special tool to do this. I had to buy a second set and then take it easy on them. The ones I see in the parts stores look like a better design since the pattern is inside the lock, not just on the outside like an ordinary nut.
Also, keep in mind if someone really wants your rims they will just get the special tool to cut the lock off. Just like if someone wants to steal your car, they can sit in a parking lot and scan codes, and when you use your remote, they snag your code.
If they want it bad enough, they will get it.
If I had the money I would have video cameras all over my car and have the images fed to a remote control or my cell phone so that I can see who scraches my car or what not.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not too conerned with my parking lot, because only condo owners can enter it, and we got a camera that monitors the area (and records) 24X7. I am not sure if anyone might want 16s (University of Chicago area - Hyde Park - is a bit ghetto, so unless I had 18s with chrome, I don't think I would be too popular).
Now I am completely not sure. My major fear is if my "better" half was driving to see her girls out of state and her tire blew. I have shown her how to replace tire quick, and I do have hydraulic jack so it is easier for her, but what if that nut rounds off or cracks...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts