Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have pictures and/or detailed instructions on how to take off the old facings and put the new SHOsource ones in? i know how to get to the cluster and take it out no problem. ive replaced the bulbs before. just changing the facings, i dont wanna mess something up. and telling me "just peel them off" is not gonna help. I wanna get basically the stock gauges but with blue backlight instead of stock green.

So it works by the facings themselves being tinted blue? cuz the stock bulbs are the soft white light. the stock facings are tinted green correct? i just want to get this all 100% clear before i order them.

OH BTW is a gen4, 2002 lx.

·
Premium Member
7,050 Posts
You'll have to get the cluster out, take the lens off, and then you have to remove the needles. That's the tricky part, because you obviously want them back where they were.

The faces are multi layered, so the base layer determines the lighting color.

Plenty of people have had luck with just replacing the white incandescent bulbs with blue LED bulbs- just make sure you get the wide angle ones.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did replace the bulbs with blue leds. it looks weird. like blue green, and the milage counters are bright blue. which is fine. but the gauges are blue green mixed cuz of the green tint. i want them just straight blue.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
I found it quite difficult to put the needles back in the right spot so I filled the tank to the tip top and used my scantool to calibrate the rest...

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You can use 3M spray adhesive, I just used little bits of crazy glue, then I used tape to make sure it stayed in place until the glue set.

Getting the needles in the right spots was the hardest part. If you have a scan tool and an assistant, it helps. I set my speedo by getting on the highway, going exactly 70 mph according to the scan tool, then setting the needle at that point. Same with the tach and temp gauges. The fuel gauge, I filled it up, then set the needle at full. Now when it says empty, I have about 1/8 tank left, and the fuel light come on about the same time. I still have considerable range from the empty mark.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts