Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i have Vulcan with SHO's pan...but i think it is not only the text on the pan "SHO"...the previuos owner of my car says that he've changed the tranmission to SHO's transmisson (for vulcan) Where is the distinctions? I know that pan of SHO's transmission is bigger than standard pan...Transmission - AX4N

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I dunno if that's possible. not that it won't mount or anything like that, I've got an SHO tranny in mine. Thing is, your info says you have a 97, that means it's OBDII , the SHO trans would have had to come from a GenII which is OBDI and most likely would not function correctly. But since I'm not totally positive, let's hope Paul sees this and enlightens us.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the question is...maybe it's only the pan from SHO for increasing the space for ATF? (as SHO's transmission must have good cooling)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
From the factory the SHO didn't have any "extra" cooling that I'm aware of than any other Taurus. Some models got a very small external cooler, some didn't, that was across the board, not just SHOs. It IS a very good idea, and probably the number one most recommended modification to ANY Taurus though.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
The Gen 2 ATX SHO had a beefy external tranny cooler; other than that, no special cooling for the SHO trannies.

The Gen 3 SHO has the same transmission fluid capacity as the SLOs with the AX4N. The AX4S actually has a higher capacity than the AX4N.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
Chances are, an SHO pan made it onto your ax4n. AFAIK, an SHO ax4n won't bolt up to a vulcan. I believe I read that the ax4n's that were on the vulcans had the vulcan bolt pattern.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
She got panned! :noes:

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
V8 SHO and Duratec use the same bolt pattern for the AX4N. It will not mate to a Vulcan.
[/b]
... and if vulcan bellhousing = essex bellhousing, I think my plan to bolt up to a SHO AX4N just got crushed

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I don't think the Vulcan trans will fit the Essex either. Believe it or not, in 25 years of fixing cars I've never done anything to a 3.8 Taurus, wow. So, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
The vulcan housings are the same as the essex housings. The MTX-IV that fits up to the v6 SHO, that fits the vulcan, also fits the essex. Sorry DMX. :(

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts
The vulcan housings are the same as the essex housings. The MTX-IV that fits up to the v6 SHO, that fits the vulcan, also fits the essex. Sorry DMX. :(
[/b]
so your saying with that logic, a AX4N from a G2 SHO can mate up to my Essex in place of the AXOD-E?

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
so your saying with that logic, a AX4N from a G2 SHO can mate up to my Essex in place of the AXOD-E? [/b][/quote]

Yes.

We need to clarify this...

Gen 2 SHO ATX = Vulcan bolt pattern

Gen 3 SHO ATX = Duratec bolt pattern

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
G2 SHO = ax4s.

·
Registered
169 Posts
ya i had a vulcan on my 95 taurus and when my tranny died i got an AX4N-SHO tranny for it, but the best part was that it was completely rebuilt and i got it for.....$300! gotta love it

·
Registered
60 Posts
So wait, I can't bolt up an AX4N to my Vulcan from a Duratec when my AX4S quits (which, it probably will eventually no matter what I do)? Or do I have to source out a AX4N that got fit to a Vulcan at the factory.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So wait, I can't bolt up an AX4N to my Vulcan from a Duratec when my AX4S quits (which, it probably will eventually no matter what I do)? Or do I have to source out a AX4N that got fit to a Vulcan at the factory.
[/b]
Not only do you need to source a vulcan AX4n, you need the PCM from that car too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wow, great discussion)))
Mu friends form taurus-club in Russia says that AX4N can be complected by SHO's pan...it's not manufacture's complection but...
Transmisson for vulcan has other fastening to engine that transmission on Duratec. But Ax4n SHO pan has the same bolts that Ax4n fo vulcan...as i understand...
The previus owner of my car has burned original Ax4n transmissoin and change it to ax4n with SHO's pan...for additional capacity of oil...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts