Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the final year of production for the SHO? Was it '99? Why did Ford decide to drop it? Any idea(s)? :confused:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ford's contract w/Yamaha to build the engine ran out also, it was a 10 yr contract if im not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Jun 19 2004, 08:32 PM
Ford's contract w/Yamaha to build the engine ran out also, it was a 10 yr contract if im not mistaken.
Ding, ding, ding! That is the reason that precludes all others. If Ford really wanted to sell massive numbers of the Gen 3 SHOs, they would have marketed them better. Most people don't even know a V8 SHO ever existed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Man, I find such a small V-8 very appealing. I really like the idea of a "small, compact V-8" with plenty of "punch" for it's size. The SHO's, with about 207 cubic inches, is one of the smallest I've heard of, yet they are able to get 235-240 h.p. out of it. I drive an '01 Mustang Cobra right now with the 4.6L V-8 and it's quite the "beast" (almost "too much" power), but I think I'd prefer a '97 to '99 SHO with that small, compact 3.4L 32V Yamaha V-8, if I could find one in good shape that hadn't been abused. For one thing I really love the lines and styling on the G3 Taurus's, for another, I'm tired of shifting, and, finally, I'd really like to have that small V-8 (but may have to settle for the Duratec 6, which would be okay, too!) B)

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Well, for a g3 SHO you'd need to make sure the cams were welded, because you know the history of cam failures, right? Small V-8? Sure, but for it's class (v-8), it's got no punch. In the Taurus/family sedan class, I'm pretty sure it's got about minimal punch.

I would probably check out shoforum.com or something to get more info on 'em :)

Pics of the 'stang??

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
the thing with the SHO motor is that even tho it doesnt have as much low end. once u get over 70mph. if u punch it, u can go all the way to 150 pretty quickly. its a high reving motor that loves high speeds. and the suspension of the SHO is very nice and handles great. yeah, make sure the cams are welded when u get one.
and ash. it has ok power for a small v8. i mean how much hp does a stock 4.6 have with auto? the mach1 has 305hp. the 4.6L sohc v8 with its 281ci has 260hp. the v8 sho had 235 withs its 3.4L small v8. which isnt bad. only 25hp less with 1.1L less motor. so hmmmm.... torque is a whole nother matter tho. but eh. either way. depends what u want to do. if u like the sho, get it. its a comfy sedan with great handling. myself, i like mustangs alot right now. even tho having a sedan with a big trunk comes in handi plenty of times i would love to get a nice stang GT

T

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 19 2004, 09:49 PM
and the g3 SHO was the worst selling SHO of all 3 years.
FYI, the SHO was in production from 1989-1999, so a total of 11 years. :hmm: Not sure why you say the SHO was produced for 3 years, yet Yamaha was contracted for ten?
Also, another little nugget of info, the V8 SHO is a Ford block with Yamaha heads.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think she meant to say the worst selling of all three gens.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by SilverKnight@Jun 20 2004, 12:19 PM
the thing with the SHO motor is that even tho it doesnt have as much low end. once u get over 70mph. if u punch it, u can go all the way to 150 pretty quickly. its a high reving motor that loves high speeds. and the suspension of the SHO is very nice and handles great. yeah, make sure the cams are welded when u get one.
and ash. it has ok power for a small v8. i mean how much hp does a stock 4.6 have with auto? the mach1 has 305hp. the 4.6L sohc v8 with its 281ci has 260hp. the v8 sho had 235 withs its 3.4L small v8. which isnt bad. only 25hp less with 1.1L less motor. so hmmmm.... torque is a whole nother matter tho. but eh. either way. depends what u want to do. if u like the sho, get it. its a comfy sedan with great handling. myself, i like mustangs alot right now. even tho having a sedan with a big trunk comes in handi plenty of times i would love to get a nice stang GT
Hey, those were my sentiments exactly 'bout the "small V-8" in the SHO. For only 3.4L (207 c.i.), it's got a "lot of punch" in my book. You can't compare it to the 4.6L and 5.7L (GM) V-8s. That would be like comparing a "lightweight" or "featherweight" with the "light-heavy and heavyweights" in boxing, for example. You really can't compare them. Of course, the "bigger guys" are gonna have "more punch," but 235 h.p. outta only 207 c.i. is more than 1 h.p. per c.i. and is pretty darn good in my book. Like I said, right now i'm drivin' an '01 'stang Cobra with 320 h.p. on "all motor" and it's got almost TOOOO much "punch." GT has plenty for a car of it's size and weight. Now the '03 and '04 Cobras come with blowers and 390 h.p.! Scheesh! Can you imagine?? :D

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by Tara@Jun 20 2004, 03:36 PM
Also, another little nugget of info, the V8 SHO is a Ford block with Yamaha heads.
Not really. It is a Ford short block, and Yamaha did a lot more than just the heads. Ford sent bare short block castings to Yamaha. Yamaha did all the assembly, machining, heads, intake, etc., except the parts and processes that Yamaha sub-contracted out. It's not really accurate to say that Yamaha did the heads and nothing else--they built the friggin' thing! :blink:

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
More name dropping: weren't these blocks made using some kind of casting process patended by Cosworth?

Anyway, I'm just trying to point out that even though the V8 iteration of the SHO doesn't have the noteriety of having a full "yamaha engine" in it, it's still special.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Jun 20 2004, 07:41 PM
More name dropping: weren't these blocks made using some kind of casting process patended by Cosworth?
This new 3.4 liter aluminum cylinder block with iron liners is made by Ford in Windsor, Canada, using the efficient Cosworth casting process. The block then goes to Japan where Yamaha contributes a pair of its own cylinder heads plus machine work and final assembly. It is then shipped to Atlanta, Georgia where final assembly of the SHO takes place.
Source

1 - 17 of 17 Posts