Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
^+1 with Nick and Brian. My late-build '99 has the abs/rear drum combo. My early-build '99 has the abs/rear disc combo, as do my '98s with abs.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Since you're still in school...I'd stick with the Focus or the Bull...

Get a fun car when you're done with school. A Mark 8 would be a fun toy to have in addition to your daily driver. Not sure what parts are like for those...at least the engine is used in more than 1 car unlike the V8SHO (which has the huge design flaw).
Um I'm confused because I never said I was in school. I'm 25 and work 40-50 hour weeks on a night shift. I spend my spare time sleeping. :p

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Your first line in your original post "Well a couple weeks ago I got rear ended by a college freshman"

Sounds as if you're in college :)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
It couldn't have had both drums and ABS. That's only the case with late 99 to 07 sedans.
Weird...I know for sure my old bull had ABS because when my mechanic replaced the driver side rear strut, the sensor got messed up and the ABS light was on forever after that. So I guess it must have had discs and I never even knew! Strange for a GL model....no CD changer, column shift, no sunroof, no spoiler, no Mach, no DOHC, no keyless entry...

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Strange for a GL model....no CD changer, column shift, no sunroof, no spoiler, no Mach, no DOHC, no keyless entry...
That's a pretty normal GL. The LX would be loaded with a 'Tec. ;) Your old car sounds just like my '96 GL. Pacific Green with Saddle cloth; only options were ABS, and 205A Value package (power driver seat, cassette stereo, interior light group, 60/40 folding rear seats, and 5-spoke 15" alloys).

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
That's a pretty normal GL. The LX would be loaded with a 'Tec. ;) Your old car sounds just like my '96 GL. Pacific Green with Saddle cloth; only options were ABS, and 205A Value package (power driver seat, cassette stereo, interior light group, 60/40 folding rear seats, and 5-spoke 15" alloys).
Just like mine! Toreador Red metallic (with a sweet gold pinstripe) and saddle cloth interior. Power driver seat, power locks, courtesy lighting, cassette, folding rear seat, power windows, and 15" 5 spoke rims. It was a great car. I loved the color. I wish I could paint my current Taurus that color, with my gold stripe...

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Just like mine! Toreador Red metallic (with a sweet gold pinstripe) and saddle cloth interior. Power driver seat, power locks, courtesy lighting, cassette, folding rear seat, power windows, and 15" 5 spoke rims. It was a great car. I loved the color. I wish I could paint my current Taurus that color, with my gold stripe...
:D You never forget your first, right?

The last owner (after I traded it in for my 05) got caught by a local Sheriff's Dept up in Wisconsin- he was using the car for trafficking dope. It was seized and crushed shortly thereafter. :( Rotten SOB.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Your first line in your original post "Well a couple weeks ago I got rear ended by a college freshman"

Sounds as if you're in college :)
Ah well it was an observation. Lol she just looked about 18 ish. And in a brand new car under her dads insurance screamed 'graduation present' to me ;)

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
:D You never forget your first, right?

The last owner (after I traded it in for my 05) got caught by a local Sheriff's Dept up in Wisconsin- he was using the car for trafficking dope. It was seized and crushed shortly thereafter. :( Rotten SOB.

No, you definitely don't forget your first :)

My parents bought the car in late '97. We sold it to some good family friends of ours when we needed to get a truck for my dad's job. Their kids used it and abused it and they gave it back to us for my first car :)

It was draining me of money (see "abused it" above) and I sold it after fixing everything that was wrong with it to a young woman with two kids. Her dad found the car for her from my ad on Craigslist and they came together and bought it on the spot.

I've never seen it since. I bought it that it's still on the road. I sold it in 2011, and it had a lot of rust at that point.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
My first "bull" was a 99 sable. An odd GS, which I understand in Sable terms is the low trim, but had every option. Power windows, locks, seats, sunroof, graphite blue metallic with matching leather interior, 6 CD changer, digital climate control, and the duratec. Might as well have been an LS.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Apparently it was done for insurance reasons. The person who ordered it opted for everything that came standard on the LS to pay a lower premium. Loophole in the system lol. Vin check says only 35 sables were built exactly like my old one.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
Vin check says only 35 sables were built exactly like my old one.
Tell me more about this VIN checking ability that can determine the rarity of a particular car's selection of options. :eek:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I didn't say it was rare. I just said that the decoder said there were 35 EXACTLY like mine. If they had the same options but were, lets say silver, it wouldn't count. I don't believe that site is up anymore. It was ran by a small research group and paid for by them. It worked by decoding your VIN then running it through the VIN database and cross referencing your code with others and broke it down by seeing how many matched yours closely. My sable for example. It would say how many 99 sables were produced, then how many produced in GS trim, then how many had as many options (maybe not exact ones), then how many were exactly the same. It was a simple concept. I'll do some research to see if another site exists that does the same thing.

·
Administrator
14,947 Posts
If such a thing existed it would be a cool toy to play with. And satisfy a lot of those 'I wonder...' moments. On another note my wife is quite sure I am a one off. :unsure:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
It was called compnine. I found them but looks like they went the subscription route and cater mostly to banks, insurance companies, and dealerships.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts