Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime anyone gets out of my car they get shocked when the touch the door. Anyone know what is causing this to happen. I really hate it.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
yep, static electricity from the carpet or floormats. Just have to live with it I guess. Mine does it every time I get out of my car! :D

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I think it's all that electricity you got running through the car with your A/V setup.

Actually, if it's been dry in your area, and you have cloth seats, you're more likely to be having problems with static electricity.

JR

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
i'm convinced it's the floormats...my g3 had them, and every one of my friends was shcoked...now im in the g4, and i have plastic/vinyl/whatever mats, and no one is ever shocked

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
they are out right now and it still does it. I will get some staticgaurd soon and try that out.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
its definitely static, i had this same problem with my old car... it had the standard cloth interior, and since ive gotten my taurus (with leather) i havent been shocked once. ever hear about these people that catch gas stations on fire from when they touch the pump? yea, it's caused by static from the friction between their clothes and seats when they get out.. then they touch the metal part on the pump, get shocked, and the spark starts MASSIVE, INSTANT fires... i saw a Dateline about it or something, crazy shi-ott...

·
Registered
326 Posts
The static you are feeling is caused by the massive amount of friction between the tires and the road. You car builds up a massive amount of charge when you drive, so when you get out, touch your feet to ground, then the frame of the car. This should prevent you from causing an arc between yourself and the car. B)

·
Premium Member
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then it just shocks my legs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts