Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

This is my first post here. I have been browsing for some time before and I think this is a great forum.

I have a '97 Sable GS with the Duratec engine, by far the best car I've ever owned.

It is ripe for new shocks. At only 40,000 miles it still has the factory originals.

I don't live in the US or Canada, so my choices are rather limited.

The question is, what make of shocks should I use? The workshop I trust carries Monroes in several variations, such as Sensatrack, etc. Or should I stick to OEM which is way more expensive?

Your answers will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
edlebrock has some on the advance auto parts site, double the price of the monroe's but I might be getting those for myself

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Get the Monroe Senstraks; they perform at the same level as the OEM Motorcraft ones. I'm not sure about the lower line of struts by Monroe however.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I am askin this again.

Is replacing the strut a tough job. Tough in terms of the precision needed in mounting them etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much! The shop says either Monroe Reflex which are 50% more expensive than Sensatracs, or Sensatracs themselves.

Edelbrocks are still more expensive but I don't know if the expense is justified.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Yes, if you just want to go back to the stock ride quality, then Sensatraks are the way to go...I haven't heard about the Reflex series, so I can't say anything. However, I found from my reading that all of these struts (made by monroe, gabriel, etc), basically reproduce the same ride quality as the OEM, but the more expensive ones tend to keep that quality for a longer period of time.

Sundarpn; I think this was answered in your post before. But replacing struts isn't very complicated. In fact, it's rather straight forward. The only hard part is using breaker bars and such to unbolt the strut assembly from the car. Also, there might not be enough space for you if you try to take the rears from the trunk; it's suggested in the Haynes manual to take out the rear seat cushion and speaker shelf and go through there.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
thx. But the bolts holding the struts are those theonly three nuts that I see on each side after I open the hood.

I guess after gettin them out. I have to remove the pinch bolt that holds the bottom of the strut to the knucle assy. and disconnect the sway bar end link from the strut.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Dont forget the brake lines - they are hooked onto the struts
Also be careful about torquing the pinch bolts when you're reinstalling it. My mechanic broke one while doing the rear driver's side strut (but then again he was using an impact wrench...)

Oh yeah, after installation, you might want to get an alignment done at a shop just to make sure everything is straight and you won't get uneven tire wear.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I have Sensatracks on my 95 Sable wagon, and I'm happy with them. The Reflex shocks work a little differently.

Sensatracks are softer in the center of their stroke; they get stiffer towards either the end of compression or rebound. Monroe calls this "position sensitive" damping.

Reflexes get stiffer depending on how fast the shock or strut is compressed or extended. This is called "velocity sensitive" damping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Which of both types will suit me better?

My driving conditions are mostly city driving on bad roads (Mexico City), with plenty of speed bumps and potholes which are sometimes unavoidable, meaning I can't drive around them, so I have to stop, go into the pothole and then out.

I don't expect to do much highway driving in this car nor reach high speeds.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Hmm the Reflex thing sounds interesting. However, I doubt that Monroe will stray too far from the original dampening settings for these cars. Reflex might be a step above the Sensatraks (since the stiffer dampening is done more towards the center, where most of the movement is done), but I doubt that they are on the same level as Koni's or Tokico's sport-level struts.

Anyway, if you're happy with the ride on your Sensatraks now, I say stick with them. You can also try KYB's; they are slightly stiffer than the Sensatraks (so I would guess around the same level as the Reflex's), and you can get them at a cheaper price usually (Tirerack has them for around $50 each) . I've also heard nothing but good reviews from people that have used KYB struts too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts