Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
92 MTX SHO

I'll ask on SHOForum too, but I wanted to start here. The SHO starts up fine if she's been sitting around, and is nice and cool. After shutting her down after any 5-10 minute drive, she won't start up unless you wait at least an hour or ever longer for her to cool down. Basically it goes like this....

cool car = start :chili:
warm car = no start :icon_cry: :angryfire: :headscratch: <---and I end up looking like this.

I'm guessing the problem lies either in the starter relay, or the starter itself, with the heat having something to do with the problem. Before going on and continually replacing parts until the problem is fixed, does anyone have any info on a situation like this? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Sounds like it could be vapor lock as well.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I'm guessing that it won't turn over????? then I'd lean more towards Starter too, I have had this problem a few times, both did the same thing

·
Registered
411 Posts
If it won't crank, starter.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by n2_space@Aug 7 2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I've only heard of it happening in NASCAR, but I guess it could be possible here. I'm sure it doesn't help having a black car.

If it won't crank, starter
No, it doesn't crank at all when too hot. Turn key enough to prime fuel pump, and after that, nothing. Not even a click.

I have had this problem a few times, both did the same thing
Did your problem occur when the engine was hot, or did it also happen when it was cool? And changing the starter fixed the problem?

Thanks for the replies guys.

-Rob

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
It happened to me hot, actually happened to me on a main throughfare, I stalled the truck, and damnit, it would not start........, had to wait untill it cooled down before it would start again

G

·
my 1988 Eddie Bauer Ford Bronco 5.8EFI has this same Exact problem...
I still can't figure out what it is.
I replaced the starter and nothing it still does the same thing

Here's what mine does, cold start it takes 2 turns from the stater to get the motor running, but after a 10-20 min drive it would crank so slow like the battery was drained and wouldn't start the motor. I took it to autozone and I opened the hood and they did a battery check and it was fine. than it cooled down and started right up again, they didnt' know what it was.

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
ANother thing that will do it, is timing, if your timing is too far advanced, it'll do the same thing,

·
Premium Member
8,401 Posts
Originally posted by 97GreenStreak3.0+Aug 7 2004, 08:31 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (97GreenStreak3.0 @ Aug 7 2004, 08:31 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-n2_space@Aug 7 2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I've only heard of it happening in NASCAR, but I guess it could be possible here. I'm sure it doesn't help having a black car.

If it won't crank, starter
No, it doesn't crank at all when too hot. Turn key enough to prime fuel pump, and after that, nothing. Not even a click.

I have had this problem a few times, both did the same thing
Did your problem occur when the engine was hot, or did it also happen when it was cool? And changing the starter fixed the problem?

Thanks for the replies guys.

-Rob [/b][/quote]
I have seen vapor lock a few times before. But if you don't even get it to crank, it's not that.

Starter, relay, or solenoid.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Yes if it doesn't turn over then the starter isn't getting the juice. Vapor lock would allow the engine to turn over but get no gas.

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
With someone holding the key in run check for 12V on the small wire going to the starter. This is the solenoid relay. When this energizes it will pull in the starter.

If there is no juice to the solenoid relay then it the problem is between the starter and the ignition switch,

If the starter clunks then the relay is working. The relay and solenoid are the same thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts