Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about putting together a SHO wagon. I was just wondering if the Yamaha V-6 would mount into the wagon with a 5-speed. I have alot in mind...basically turnign the front end to SHO style, putting in 2 sunroofs, lowering it, rims, white paint job( I think...still pondering that one) Dual exaust and a totally custom interior with an audio system that takes up a goo portion of the rear. Also would SHO seats mount in the wagon as well?

~Chris

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
jason foxwolfe from ohio made a gen 1 mtx sho wagon...anyone who came tot he lapeer meet last november can vouche for it...it's friggin sweet and one heck of a sleeper

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I also think that someone made a G2 SHO wagon.

It's possible with the right amount of time, work, and money.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think Car and Driver or Road and Track built a SHOWagon some years back...
If I remember correctly, it was a Gen II, and it was painted burgundy.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I remember some magazine covering a show wagon conversion, it was well done and all i remeber was that all the ford ovals were chandged to say "SHO" instead of "ford" and the rear bench was custom made by some famouse furniture guy. This was a long time ago (5? years) and I knew someone who looked into getting it from the guy who made it but he decided it was to nice for him to use it for daily uses. Sorry I dont remeber all the specifics. Yes its doable might be pricey though.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input! My local salvage yard is dirt cheap, and the place next door sells used parts already pulled for halfway decent as well. My Boss's SHO's ball joint went out and the whole suspension unit...axel, went with it. he only paid $800 for the car and it was impounded because he left it sitting where it died. I may have a shot at getting the engine + the 5 speed tranny, lights, bumper....ect ect.

The only place I am stumped is the rear bumper. I dont think the bumpers on the sedans are the same as the ones on the wagons...Where can I get a bumper that will be lower and boost a sportier look?

Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I would guess try to modify the wagon's bumper with some fiberglass. But if that doesn't work, I believe Stillen has a rear bumper kit for the G2 wagons.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
stillen has a full bodykit for g2 wagons, and there is a white g2 with sho front end, motor, susp, and other peices, i think it goes by the name of thumper

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have one under construction as we speak, should be done this fall, maybe winter.

G2-everything bolts together from the front bumper to the back doors.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Forget about the Wagon

What about a SHO Sable!!! I know there's been discussion about putting SHO engines in normal Taurii, but I don't remember something. Was there a difference in transmissions between the two?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
The SHO tranny is a bit stronger than the regular tranny IIRC.

And a SHO Sable would be nice. I've seen one on eBay.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Mar 3 2004, 07:04 PM
The SHO tranny is a bit stronger than the regular tranny IIRC.

And a SHO Sable would be nice. I've seen one on eBay.
Yeah, saw that Sable too. There's also one in the link I gave above.

J

·
0 Posts
Justin Becker from ShoCo Automotive in Youngstown, OH has a 5 speed SHO wagon sucessfully completed.
Saw it with my own eyes, I don't think he really advertises it too much.

www.shocoautomotive.com

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am building a SHO wagon right now. It began as a 94 LX with leather, moonroof, and EATC. I am now putting together the 3.2L SHO engine and MTX-IV tranny.

Inside, I have installed front buckets from a 96 LX and a center console from a 91 SHO. Outside, the wagon is getting a SHO front end, including hood, fenders, bumper, and lamps.

To assemble all this, I am taking parts from a bunch of cars. The 3.2 engine and tranny are bought, hood is coming from my 92 SHO, fenders/bumper/lamps from another SHO. Yet another SHO is donating subframe, engine/tranny mounts, oil pan, etc.

The challenging part of these conversions is not mechanical --- that's a bolt-up job. The tricky part is the wiring.

Joseph

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I completed the gen 1 sho wagon and the hard part the the steering colum braket and steering colum. other than that is was pretty easy took about a total of 26 hours of work. PS change the fuel pump to the sho fuel pump its a big differance.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
You're gonna hook the 3.2L to the Manual? Would it fit? I thought the 3.2L would only mate to the Atuomatic.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The SHO Shop has made a few SHO Wagons. Car and Driver had Ford create a GENII SHO Wagon. Ford made two. One in Crimson Red that was in the magazine and one white. Ford decided not to go into production because of cost and lack of people willing to spend over $30K for a Taurus. The Ford made SHO Wagons had special suspension and the rear suspension area was reinforced to cope with the higher handling limits. They also had custom made bumper covers with the SHO logo. The regular SHO's weren't selling very well. An engineer at the Atlanta Ford plant made a Sable SHO with a 3.2 ATX. He was a member of the old SHO Registry. The best Sable SHO is one of the few AIV (aluminum intensive vechicle) that were made from all aluminum. They weighed over 750 pounds less than the normal Sable and came with 3.2 ATX. Most of them went to the crusher (not legal for sale), a few when to colleges (sans SHO motor) to create hybrid/electric cars (saw one made by UC Santa Barbra at the LA Auto Show few years ago..No they would not sell it to me..I offered), and one is supposed be running around Michigan driven by an executive at the company who put them together.

Bob

·
Registered
2001 Ford Mustang. 2005 Harley Deluxe. 2016 Freightliber Cascadia.
326 Posts
This isn't really off subject, but obviously the SHO manual's were MTX-IV's well thats the same tranny used in the MT-5, which I guess explains why they are so bulletproff in the MT-5, my question is, what about the Input shaft? Could I take an SHO engine that had the manual and bolt it to my MT-5 tranny? Or is the input shaft different? I know I'd have to get a different clutch, that much is a given.

Michael

BTW I've thought about making an SHO or MT-5 wagon hehehe.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts