Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain this? I noticed this a while ago and was curious, but now i must know. I saw a topic similar to this but it was for a G3 Taurus. Anyone? :unsure:

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
Were they AX4N models? Could be that Ford originally had that in mind when they did the castings for the pan.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
I remember an "AX" designation on the pans, but I don't remember the last 2 (3) letters (numbers), lol. What tranny was the gen2 atx sho paired with?

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,998 Posts
AXOD lol. They didnt put the AX4N with the SHO until '96.

·
Registered
22,490 Posts
I was really thinking both '95s had the 19 bolt ax4n...??? Maybe they were given early '96 sho pans, lol. It's been light years ago and I'm old and forgetful, so I could be wrong, lol!!! But I do distinctly remember the "sho" embossed on the pans and the green seals on the tranny filter necks...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I should've been more specific. It does say AX4N SHO. That's how it reads out on the pan. Ill take a picture when i get the chance. Maybe today, although i have college till late.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
1986-1995 Taurus/Sables have a different transmission pan from the 1996-2007s. While the sump is the same, the bolt holes changed size.

86-95 AXOD/AXOD-E/AX4S were usually stamped AXOD METRIC (17 bolt bottom pan).

If you have a ~94-95 AX4N in your Vulcan, it may say AX4N METRIC or AX4N SHO...even though the 93-95 SHO used an AXOD-E/AX4S transmission.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So they just stamped SHO on it for the fun of it? This is what im getting: gen 2 sho's never came with AX4N. Gen 3's did. But the G3 has a different bolt pattern....:huh:

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
My SHO's Trans pan just says AX4N and I'm pretty confident it's the original pan.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts