Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious if the SHO package in the Ford Taurus (3rd gen) can be swapped into a late third generation Mercury Sable GS?
What frame modifications need to be made if any?
What components in the engine bay need to be repositioned and remounted?
Is it a direct bolt-up?

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you have a donor SHO car, then it is doable. The mechanical part would be straightforward and relatively easy, in my opinion. Swapping the electronics to run the engine/trans/dashboard is trickier. You need to swap out the PCM, all the electronics and wiring harnesses from the SHO. Lots of electronic differences between the cars.
There is even a guy who swapped a v8 from a Lincoln continental into a 4th gen, it ran, though he had lots of lights on the dash.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a donor SHO car, then it is doable. The mechanical part would be straightforward and relatively easy, in my opinion. Swapping the electronics to run the engine/trans/dashboard is trickier. You need to swap out the PCM, all the electronics and wiring harnesses from the SHO. Lots of electronic differences between the cars.
There is even a guy who swapped a v8 from a Lincoln continental into a 4th gen, it ran, though he had lots of lights on the dash.
If lights are coming on the dash, could it be something as simple as swapping the gauge clusters? I’m not familiar at all with electronics and wiring so forgive my ignorance

·
Administrator
15,365 Posts
If you're not familiar with electronics and wiring then you probably won't be able to do this. No offense intended.
I'd have to say I concur. Many SHO swaps have been done, the successful ones definitely were not accomplished by someone that wasn't proficient with wiring. The V8 SHO is a somewhat particular (some might say finicky) beast. Its care and feeding, even in its natural environment, are not for everyone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts