Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Broke the driver side halfshaft on my 88 Vulcan wagon yesterday. I have a driver half shaft from a 93 3.2 ATX SHO parts car I stripped a few years ago. Aside from the inboard axle section being a little beefier and an ABS ring (both on the SHO shaft) the length between the two is the same, and it would appear to fit in the car (did a quick test fit).

Before I put everything back together, just wondering if anyone else has done something similar. I'm not too keen about putting it all back together only to find some massive vibration or a problem turning because of some engineering difference that I have no knowledge about :)

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
QUOTE (rudedog @ Jun 24 2009, 12:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=734875
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I would count the splines and possibly mic the diameter of them as well between the two axles. I've got regular 93 Taurus axles in my car with a 95 AX4S-HO trans.[/b]
Well, the job is done and it seems to be working just fine. No noises or vibrations (moreso than before anyway, ball joints are a little weak.) That's an extra $60.00 off my $175 parts car :)

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
You know this already, but the ATX halfshafts are all the same. The SHO might have different boots to handle spinning at 139MPH, but other than that... the same.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts