Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now I drive a 95 GL. Ive been content but my friend keeps telling me to get a SHO. So now Im looking around and I think I want a Gen 1. Ive found a few but how many miles is too much on a SHO? I found one with 225k miles for 1500. And another with great body and exelent interior for 850. I can sell my car for like 3 grand because I have like the lowest miles youll find on a gen 2 taurus for ever. Anyway Im gonna try to go take a look at both of them soon and test drive them if possible. Is there some things I should look for? Engine and Appearence wise. And are there certain things that If i see its just a definate dont buy it right then?
Thanx Yall.

G

·
SHOtimes FAQ Check out this link. You'll find everything you ever wanted to know about a SHO.

Also, the newest Gen 1 SHO is 14 years old. Allowing 15000 miles per year as average, these cars should have around or over 200k on them. Mine has 170k on the stock engine, knock on wood I haven't had any major problems.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
dont do it. they may be fast and a lil prettier, but they are the DEVIL

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
SHO can be expensive to maintain. Its hard to find a SHO that has been well cared for. I would look for a one owner or at most a two owner car. Make sure you don't buy one from a kid because the SHO has been rode hard and put away wet many times. Make sure that the 60K was done recently. 60K can run a $1000 bucks if you have some one do it right for you. A well maintained SHO engine have known to go over 300k miles. It is the rest of the car that falls apart. I have 125K on my 1991 SHO. So far I have replaced everything in the suspension, both half-shafts, rebuilt the transmission when I installed the Quaife, replaced the rod bearings, and the exhaust from the manifolds back. I am now getting ready to do the 60K again on the car.

Bob

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
If it's gonna be a daily driven car, I'd consider a third gen SHO. Relatively easy to keep up. Otherwise, check out SHOPower, look around on the main page, they have a great "Buying a SHO" section.

Maintainence is a BIG thing with these cars... make sure you get all the maint. done before you mod the car. I was still catching up on maintainence when I spun a rod bearing at 60.8k.

SHO > Tom :???:

·
Registered
129 Posts
What performance car isn't expensive to maintain ?? If you can't afford to pay, then don't play. SHO's are cheap to buy, but can cost some money to maintain, but in this day and age, all cars are expensive. But if you can't afford a SHO, don't ever drive one, because it is worse than a crack addiction, after you drive one, you just gotta have it. Downside is they don't make them anymore, I totalled my 97 134k miles, they are only giving me 4k for it. And as far as buying a car driven hard, hell aint that what they are for?? check the classifieds on SHOCLUB.com, there is a Gen 3 with less thanm 5k miles, but he wants 20k for it. even us die hard SHO owners are going to have to buy something different eventually, Ford Five Hundred, too damn small interior, looks like the Mazda 6 is the leading cnandidate to replace my SHO

·
Registered
198 Posts
Originally posted by TrueBlue@Oct 7 2004, 09:02 AM
I was still catching up on maintainence when I spun a rod bearing at 60.8k.
That is why it is called a 60K and not a 60.8K. :p

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This car wouldnt be both my daily driver and my toy. Im a teenager and lets just go ahead and say it Im for the sports car idea. Alot of the main reason is I want this car verse mine is stuff like 5 spd, Lether interior and sunroof. Just nice stuff Ive wanted Im not nesscery buying the car to burn hondas but Im not saying Im not going to. I do understand the first thing is matineance and I wouldnt even start to list my car for sale untill the SHO was in my possesion and if things work out like they are supposed to the money from my car will generate enough money to one get my matinance done and two get a nice pair of rims and tires. From there comes the modding but nothing crazy Im not going to be another Turbo SHO. But it would be nice we all have to admit that.
Thanks for all the suggestions you guys, keep em comming.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
i have a silver g2 sho for sale btw

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can't afford a SHO and a woman...it's impossible!
Amen to that.
But the ones I found in the car trader are on a SHO website meaning, maybe they are former SHO entusiasts owners which I would feel better doing so. Thanks to the person who posted that link for me Ive found alot of cars. I am consdiering a gen 2 also but thats just If i cant find a gen 1 and Im all out of options.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Originally posted by SilverKnight@Oct 7 2004, 08:12 PM
LOL! Is this Tara's old SHO? How come you're selling it?

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
dont have the $$ to do a tranny, and we cant afford another car on insurence and stuff. we have 4 cars insured at the moment. like $5,000 a year not kidding

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still looking for my gen 1. I cant believe how hard these things are to find but i might be going to look at one sunday. :banana: Im going with a friend that knows alot about older cars and matinance stuff so we should be able to see whats up and if its a good deal or not. Technally im not supposed to get the car right now (my grades and my parents you get the idea) but I might have to like put a down payment and tell him ill pick it up later if its just too good a deal to pass up.

G

·
Originally posted by TrueBlue+Oct 8 2004, 08:16 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TrueBlue @ Oct 8 2004, 08:16 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-SilverKnight@Oct 7 2004, 08:12 PM
LOL! Is this Tara's old SHO? How come you're selling it? [/b][/quote]
Having been Tara's car is reason enough. Probably some bad karma in there that can't be cleaned out. :)

Having seen and driven the car a few times though, it's well worth the asking price.

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Alright didnt get to look at either of the SHOs I called but hell I had a long talk with both. One 89 Titianium original owner everything done car was babied. It has 134 K on her and has been under a cover for about two years in a garage. He is a SHO enthusist and would like to see the car go to a good home. 2500 Bucks.

The other is a 90 with 244k on it and the way the guy sounded he didnt know much about the car other than it could haul and he didnt use it anymore. He wanted about 1500 for it.

Im definatly liking the first one because its in such good condition and he lives almost up my street. But 2500 bucks is alot of money for me but I can do it just wont be spending much till then and after. The other guy was cheap but didnt seem in great condition. Other than that people that know about insurence. Would the insurence for a 17 year old be the same for a 95 GL as for the 89 or 90 SHO? I was hoping it would be the same because they are both tauruses and maybe the SHO is a luxary car. Any help appreciated. Thanx Yall.

G

·
IMO, you're better off buying from an enthusiast. The cars tend to be better maintained and taken care of. SHO's are NOT maintenance hogs, however the 60k does need to be taken care of, and gets pricey, especially if you're having someone else do it. Better to pay more money up front than get a POS that needs a lot of $$ to make it right. Trust me, I went that way the first time with my 89, and I regretted it every step of the way. I got discouraged, and that car never got finished.

As far as insurance, it varies state to state. You may want to call your insurance company and check.

A good place to look for a well maintained SHO is SHOClub.com

1 - 19 of 19 Posts