Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Without telling me it cant be done (I already know, "its not worth it, blah blah blah"), what exactly would have to be done to swap a SHO motor and transmission into a SLO. Besides the motor mounts, what would stop it from being done?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
346 Posts
Originally posted by minutiesabotage@Mar 29 2004, 07:18 PM
Without telling me it cant be done (I already know, "its not worth it, blah blah blah"), what exactly would have to be done to swap a SHO motor and transmission into a SLO. Besides the motor mounts, what would stop it from being done?
Not meaning to sound like a prick, but try doing a search for it. What exactly is required has been stated many times so it's kinda redundant for someone to write it all out again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,090 Posts
coolant tank, various hoses, all accesories (alt and ps pump are diffrent for sure), PS res, PCM Wiring harness, Airbox and hoses, throttle cable (Maybe), ETC

I would find a totaled sho or contact midwest repairables and get the whole sho or at bare minimum the whole subframe with engine and tranny mounted. This will cust costs drastically.

I personally dont think its a waste at all....for one, cheaper insurance!!!!

Lemme know if you need some help.

Brad
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Some insurance companies don't really care what trim level a Taurus is...and that's how they classify the SHO (I mean honestly, it IS still a taurus you know?
). Therefore, they'll just give you the same rate at a SLO.

What I'm trying to say is that unless you have more reasons that just cheaper insurance, getting an actual SHO might end up costing less in the long run.

Oh yeah, don't forget to get a center console and buckets if you're starting out with a column shift car. It's another can of worms trying to fit a center console into a car that was originally column shift (it's been done, but its not easy).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
i agree, my insurance company would not raise my rates from a normal taurus to a sho. also agree with the statement that it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a real sho, mayb another sticky is needed haahhahahhahaa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Originally posted by 91tsiawd5spd@Mar 30 2004, 04:06 PM
i agree, my insurance company would not raise my rates from a normal taurus to a sho. also agree with the statement that it would be cheaper and easier to just buy a real sho, mayb another sticky is needed haahhahahhahaa
I'm not writing that one up


I do know that Mikey's_Taurus, an old timer who I don't know if he's around anymore, did swap a 3.2L SHO setup into a GL. It's been done before. If you need design help, give me a holler and I may be able to point you in the right direction. I am, after all, working with a Ford Explorer which has a Nissan engine in it, so I do know a thing or two about retrofitting and extreme customization.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 30 2004, 01:31 PM
Some insurance companies don't really care what trim level a Taurus is...and that's how they classify the SHO (I mean honestly, it IS still a taurus you know?
).  Therefore, they'll just give you the same rate at a SLO. 

What I'm trying to say is that unless you have more reasons that just cheaper insurance, getting an actual SHO might end up costing less in the long run. 

Oh yeah, don't forget to get a center console and buckets if you're starting out with a column shift car.  It's another can of worms trying to fit a center console into a car that was originally column shift (it's been done, but its not easy).
NO WAY MAN! My insurance company would have raped me if I bought a sho. I am friendly with the rep that handles my claims and such, so I called to ask her how much it would be. Take into account I have full coverage, am male, and are between 18-25, I would pay about 2500 a year on my own. I pay 2000 a year now for my Gen 4, and I am under my moms insurance, and im a step 9 driver.

-DC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
129 Posts
Don't know if everyone heard, but Al Fitz is going out of the SHO part business, may catch some deals before the crusher comes
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
346 Posts
Originally posted by beefstu01@Mar 30 2004, 03:30 PM
I do know that Mikey's_Taurus, an old timer who I don't know if he's around anymore, did swap a 3.2L SHO setup into a GL.
I don't think Mikey ever got around to swapping the SHO motor unless it was on someone else's car. He thought about doing it a couple times but things always came up. Now his little brother wrecked his SLO so he's been parting it out. AFAIK, besides his online store for SHO parts, he's out of the Taurus game.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Oh blast, I thought Mikey did... you forget many a thing in the drunken haze of your college days. Well either way, I'll see what information I can glean from my Chilton manual here and get back to you about swapping. I suggest getting a front clip- you're guaranteed to get everything you need there, save maybe the fuel pump, but that's easy enough to scrounge up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only reason I even reconsidered this is because I recently got to know someone with the tools and experience to make custom motor mounts, and he said he would help me out. There is also a SHO in a junkyard near here which has a complete front end, from what the guy there says anyway..... As far as I know, if i take the whole SHO front end (radiator, battery tray, etc) the mounts would be the only really hard part, correct?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by duratecchie@Mar 30 2004, 04:54 PM
NO WAY MAN!  My insurance company would have raped me if I bought a sho.  I am friendly with the rep that handles my claims and such, so I called to ask her how much it would be.  Take into account I have full coverage, am male, and are between 18-25, I would pay about 2500 a year on my own.  I pay 2000 a year now for my Gen 4, and I am under my moms insurance, and im a step 9 driver.

-DC
You are with the wrong insurance company then. There are MANY insurance companies that will charge the same rate or LESS if you upgrade to a SHO. When I got my SHO and it replaced my 95 GL, Allstate kept my rate the same, even after I explicitly told them it was a SHO. State Farm told me it would be $6 a month cheaper (I'm guessing b/c of the ABS?) There was another agency that I can't remember (Geico or Progressive, I think) that agreed the SHO vs. SLO thing had no bearing on rates.

Seriously, call around, and don't rely on word of mouth. I can bet you that 90% of the stuff you hear is
Rates change all the time. I get quotes every 6 months, and the results are never the same. Sometimes Allstate comes out cheapest, sometimes Nationwide, sometimes State Farm, etc. I know people in re-insurance, and believe me there are some wild reasons why your rates may change. I don't trust anyone, and I don't believe in loyalty to anyone who makes as much money as most insurance companies do.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by minutiesabotage@Mar 30 2004, 11:34 PM
The only reason I even reconsidered this is because I recently got to know someone with the tools and experience to make custom motor mounts, and he said he would help me out. There is also a SHO in a junkyard near here which has a complete front end, from what the guy there says anyway..... As far as I know, if i take the whole SHO front end (radiator, battery tray, etc) the mounts would be the only really  hard part, correct?
To answer your question, just pull the entire subframe. It really is the easiest way to do it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,111 Posts
If you take everything from the front end of that SHO (suspension wise), and everything under the hood, and the SHO's ECU, you could just drop your Taurus onto that complete SHO subframe and be done with it.

It's been done before. Just take a look at Hobby Farmer's car (look at the COTM voting for this month).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I suppose thats always possible, but wouldnt that be more difficult than a swap since tauri are unibody cars? And if it that ends up being easier...yes I will do it, the SHO is cheap, and im just looking for a somewhat original project (not the typical, "YAY, i removed my intake silencer, im gonna go masterbate!!!"projects).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Transplanting an SHO engine/transaxle into a regular Taurus is a bolt in. You just need the parts specific to the SHO drive train, including wiring harness and exhaust and EECU. It is work, but it has been done. If I can find the one guy's site who did this swap, I'll post it. Just haunt the junk yards and eBay for SHO parts and get all that you need before you begin. Unless you just want to do it to be different, why not just buy an SHO? It is easier.

NOW, putting a console and floor shifter into a Taurus/Sable that didn't come with these items is NOT difficult. As I have said before, some of you people don't know what you are talking about. It is quite easy. The bucket seats, console, floor shifter were an option on the non-SHO Taurus/Sable. I just pulled the console from a 2nd gen Sable along with the automatic shifter to put in my 91 Taurus LX. Be sure to get all of the mounting brackets and mounting hardware for the console and take measurements as to where everything bolts to the floor. The mounting studs will have to be broken off the tunnel and rewelded. The shifter bolts to the front console mounting bracket and is cable operated. The cable runs forward through the firewall and clips to the transaxle shift lever. On a manual floor shifter a hole will need to be cut through the tunnel. Otherwise, it is a drop-in, bolt-in.

If you have an LX, the buckets seats are a plug-n-play.

Anything can be down and most things are not that difficult to do. Good Luck and just do it.

JD
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by EagleFish@Mar 31 2004, 12:09 AM
Transplanting an SHO engine/transaxle into a regular Taurus is a bolt in. You just need the parts specific to the SHO drive train, including wiring harness and exhaust and EECU. It is work, but it has been done. If I can find the one guy's site who did this swap, I'll post it.
There are several people who have put SHO motors in SLOs. HERE is some REALLY old news about a guy who made a SHO wagon. There are many other examples of SHO/SLO conversions (or is it SLO/SHO?) but I don't care enough to dig up the info on them. Happy Googling.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top